Apex System - Review by Cobraz

cobraz

Zoa Pirate
Well I just hooked up the Apex with 1 Energy Bar and Base Module.
This system has PH, ORP and Temp probes.

Installation: Very simple 4 screws hold down the Energy Bar and 4 screws for the Base Module. The Display takes 1 screw.

Wiring is also easy - From the Energy bar - 1 USB cable goes to the Base Module and 1 USB cable is from the Display.

The Base Module - Has Ethernet along with Dial-up phone jack. Your probes are also here Temp, PH and ORP or you can have Duel PH probes for controlling Calcium reactors.

The Energy Bar - has eight independent electrical plugs that can be turned always on or off and also on Auto for programing.

Programming... Their documentation is very lacking, it could be revised for a better word. It needs to have screen captures to clearly explain some areas and others it contradicts what it says in setting up the Energy Bars as a module. As stated above you can independently program all 8 plugs on the energy bar. There are too many things you can do with it - so I will leave that for you to read on their website.

What I have done.... I have the following on the system.

Main Pump: - Manual On.
Heater: Controlled so that in case of malfunction it is powered off.
2 Power Heads: - I have a small wave maker so just Manual on at the moment.
Skimmer: - Manual On.
Moon Lights: - Programmed for season light cycles.
Lighting: - Programmed for custom light period.
Fuge Lights - Programmed for custom light period.

The Apex also has a Web interface - instead of the software - so you can access it from a web page instead of using the display to program everything. It is the same as the software.. they could use an upgrade here and make it more 20th century looking.. too old an legacy looking.

Emails alerts can be sent to a couple of addresses which is nice, ie work and phone or other address. The emails are text looking and plain.. again could be more useful and the problem has to be determined as it does not declare what the issue is.. it sends out all parms.

I upgraded the ethernet connection by adding a wireless gaming device with now allows the Apex to be wireless - something I hope they add in the future.

Overall it is a great unit for us reef geeks - but if you have a ACII or ACIII, do not look for major improvements - it's still the same thing in a fancy new shiny box. I did talk to Curt at Neptune Systems who cleared up a few questions I had - his customer support is very good. I Hope you enjoyed this review.

I will update it as I experiment with it's features.

Alarm Statement: If Temp < 75.0 Then ON

Dec 07 2009 21:45:49
Temp pH ORP
79.2 8.17 425
VarSpd1_I1 is OFF Auto
VarSpd2_I2 is PF2 Auto
VarSpd3_I3 is PF3 Auto
VarSpd4_I4 is PF4 Auto
SndAlm_I6 is OFF Auto
SndWrn_I7 is OFF Auto
EmailAlm_I5 is OFF Auto
MainPump is ON Manual
PowerHeads is ON Manual
FugeLight is OFF Auto
Heater is ON Auto
Skimmer is ON Manual
Skimmer is ON Manual
Main Lights is ON Auto
MoonLights is ON Auto
Power Failed: Dec 07 2009 21:44:44
Power Restored: Dec 07 2009 21:45:14
Power OK: EB8_3 (0 Minutes - 01.2 Amps)

Attachments

• Apex1.jpg
    Apex1.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
A very good review. I've had my APEX for awhile and I'm just setting up the net portion of it. I have many hours into it and it can be frustrating. I'm not sure this product is ready for market, but I know once it's setup I'll be happy.

Back