Apex System - Review Part 2 by Cobraz

cobraz

Zoa Pirate
All,

I did a review of the Apex... awhile ago and now for the update.

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90487&highlight=apex

WARNING - what you are about to read is happening to allot of other Reefers.

Well, my first review was of joy and amazement... this one is of pain and utter disappointment.

My Apex system started to exhibit a couple of odd issues.

1.) I would lose power on the EB8 for 29 seconds at weird times of the day as emails poured in on a daily bases at work. It always happened for 29 seconds. I thought maybe there was a rouge Feed timer set. Nope just outages. Then I read they maybe false readings were the EB8 lost connection to the main system... nope no issue of that.

So I put the whole system on a new power strip into a new outlet into a battery backup... same thing 29 second outages.

I day I was home and here that sound of sucking water - sure enough - my whole system shutdown no power - but my lights are on... and there all plugged into the same outlet hmmm.... I said.

Sure enough 29 seconds later - everything is humming along again.

Well I went the route of contacting Neptune... doing everything advised - upgrading the Flash and so forth... still happening... then I am told, oh wait for the new firmware upgrade it should fix this. Do not send it in... Ok I said .. with a little doubt.

2.) Well now 4 weeks later on a Sunday - I here that sudden silence and wait the 30 seconds... 40 seconds... 50 seconds... then the sound of water running.... but not as much noise as I would have thought. Hey I said where is my Apex display it's dark... I unplug it move the USB plug and nothing... It blew - no way I say and go into panic mode.

I jump on-line - hey I can still see it but not on the display... so I get all my info for another email session with Neptune.

Note: Their support is very good and they do respond quickly. Mine is now in transit for repair.

3.) While on line - I go to a web site (AKA..RC) and in their forum is a Neptune section and low and behold... I start seeing others complaining about all the same issues as I have had and are having and everyone saying the same things for months.

4.) I think if a product has know defects - it should be corrected and product should not ship until they are corrected. I also believe when you call - they should be up front and tell you, yes we have been seeing these issues and are working on fixing them.

5.) I owned a ACII and Jr. for years and went through many moves before upgrading to the APEX and the old units were rock solid. For my money I wish I had not upgraded now.... for what's worth.. and IMO.

We will see if this gets and better but the list goes on with issues with the APEX... a third review will be done sometime in March-April.

Thanks for reading.

Great review! This helps a lot as I am in the process of researching a controller. I'm not sure now if the APEX will be top of the list if this seems to be a reoccuring problem.

Thanks for posting. Good info to know. As I have been looking into getting a controller

I have experienced similar issues with one of the Apex controllers I support at one of the LFS here.

This is why I chose to stick with my ACIII until the kinks are worked out. The III is rock solid.

I agree their support is very good, but it just seems this product was not ready for shipment. Documentation should of been a hell of alot better. Would I buy this product again, probably.

Glad you posted this. I was considering putting my RK2 on the wifes nano and getting a new controller, possibly an Apex. I will wait it out now.

Review Part 3

Well here is an very unexpected update: PART 3

I received my replacement Apex parts - oh wait what's in the box - NOT what I sent them.....:mad:

I sent them my Apex display and my EB8 only to get back (1 week later) a damaged EB8 - 4 out of the 6 USB ports are bent like someone did not know how to plug in a usb cable and a Apex module ... NOT my APEX display... allot of good this does me now.

I have to say - they were good in the beginning with communication, but their lack of follow up.

If anyone is following the threads on RC - the APEX has allot of issues and it needs to be tested fully before releasing such a high marketable item and flash bios updates.

The APEX is like the heart of your system. No heart and your system can die. What the hell are they thinking.

This APEX just might wined up on EBAY...!!! Maybe I can get $ 1.00 for it..... mad and angry camper at this point. More updates to follow maybe :eek:.

cobraz I am sorry to hear that your APEX is having such issues!

I have been running mine without problem for 5 months now. Only burp it ever had was losing network connectivity and needed its network stuff restarted. Other than that it has worked flawlessly, I just knocked on wood to be safe though!

You are right, no product so close to your systems health should be released with such issues. Anyhow, I hope it is not the kind of thing that will start happening to me!

I expect they will send you a new unit, if not, that is just unacceptable. I would however say that in my experience reading any companys forums for data on how often something is failing by seeing how many people have problems can be misleading, since only the ones having problems post while the people it is working for stay silent. That being said, it is a GOOD thing that others are having your same issue since it will get more attention from the company.

Either way, good luck!

That is -extremely- unfortunate. I have been researching a system for my first reef tank that will go in later this year. The Apex was looking VERY promising. While the price point is rather high, it appeared to do well feature wise compared to other units.

While the Apex sounds like 'the thing' for reefers, these quality control and support issues are a HUGE NO NO. When it comes to my purchases, I care equally as much about quality and support as the product itself.

This sounds completely horrid. They'd better turn things around quick, or I suspect they are going to pick up a bad reputation quick. That can right kill the product line.

I'm on the Reefkeeper side of the Apex v. Reefkeeper battle. But, to be fair, I must say that the RKE did have its fair share of issues early on until DA was able to fix them.

I'm sure the same thing will happen here after Neptune has had enough time. It might be taking them some time to sort of turn back into an agile product company. With the last generation of controllers, there never really seemed like much of a battle. Neptune was pretty much just able to rest on their laurels with the ACIII. But now that DA decided to bring it with the RKE, Neptune had to get the old boxing gloves out and dust em off.

Like I said, I'm an RKE guy myself. But no matter what side you're on, this healthy competition is good for all of us!

What a bummer Jerry, sorry to hear you are having so many problems with your Apex.

I certainly hope that I dont run into those problems.
I have my apex powered up and connected to the internet, but I do not have it actually controlling the new tank yet. (no water in it)

Once I have the tank fully up and running I will post back here if I have any problems.

I have already flash in the latest firmware upgrades.
Curt from Neptune just released a new firmware upgrade last week that was supposed to fix most of the issues.

I have my apex powered up and connected to the Internet, but I do not have it actually controlling the new tank yet.
I have already flash in the latest firmware upgrades.
Curt from Neptune just released a new firmware upgrade last week that was supposed to fix most of the issues.

Yes, I tried the one just before the latest ...I also run mine wireless. The beta broke allot of things - some have been fixed since and some are still not by what I have been reading - but I think the final release may fix more. If you check RC there is also a manual someone wrote that shows more in depth controlling and problem issues along with how to fix it. Very cool manual where the supplied document is very lacking.

My new equipment - is in the mail again.. maybe be here by next Tuesday..
I love what it can do - when and if it can do it without major issues.

Shutdown the tank for 30 seconds at random times ... is just not cool and can play havoc with ballast and such. We will see.

I think the manual was written by Aquamaniac, he did a great job on it.
I had already down loaded it before you posted about it. I have been browsing the neptune forum ever since I ordered my Apex.

He is suppose to have part 2 of the manual out by March.

Have you thought about using the defer or min time statement or hysteresis to keep the ballast from trying to come back on too soon after a power outage. Not sure which is the one to use .
I know it will not do anything to fix the prob, but it may take some wear off of the ballasts.

While I agree that companies do go through some sort of issue(s) when they come out with a new product, but like anything else, give it time. My understanding is that they're a small company and sorting thru the many new issues that people are experiencing.

I got my unit about month after it came out... other than email notification problem and iphone app doesnt function 100% of the time, I've been extremely happy with mine. They recently updated the iphone app so I can finally control the apex thru my phone now. :)

Good luck.

While I agree that companies do go through some sort of issue(s) when they come out with a new product, but like anything else, give it time. My understanding is that they're a small company and sorting thru the many new issues that people are experiencing.

I got my unit about month after it came out... other than email notification problem and iphone app doesnt function 100% of the time, I've been extremely happy with mine. They recently updated the iphone app so I can finally control the apex thru my phone now. :)

Good luck.

+1

I just figured out today how to work the email/text alerts due to this thread and finding the manual. I guess the Apex doesnt support gmail SSL. So I forward it from www.gmx.com bingo! it works now.

Thanks!

Any updates on this?

I'm seriously considering getting one of these, but I don't think I will unitl I see Jerry's problem fixed.....

I'm interested in an Apex too, but may hold off for a bit until I hear more. Still not sure if I'll go with the 'light' or regular model though. Not sure if the ORP is worth the extra cost.. but I expect I'll bite the bullet.

Back