Aqua C Remora vs Prizm

Jamba

Non-member
Hi All

I have a Prizm skimmer H-O-B skimmer. It seems to do an ok job. However, I am thinking of adding a refugium-sump and would then need to get a sump based skimmer. I am wondering is the Aqua C Remora better?

Are there other skimmers I should consider?

If you have personal experience with more than one skimmer, please describe the difference in

What skimmer is the best bang for the buck? Produces the best skimmate? Easiest to clean? Most effective? Quiet? Is easy to fine tune? Has good manufacture support? Etc.

Thanks
Jamba

You should also check out the Euro-Reef skimmers. Solid construction, easy to clean, very efficient, easy to adjust. Only drawback is that you do pay for the quality, they aren't the cheapest brand of skimmer out there!

It may help future posters to know what size tank is this skimmer for and how heavily stocked it is.

Eric

Tank size

I have heard EuroReefs are good.

My tank currently is 29 gallons. However, I am thinking of upgrading to a 50 gallon, and converting the current tank into a sump-refugium.

Cheers

have have used aqua c, prism, and euroreef...

you really can't compare those to a euroreef...they are a diferent...breed.

but aqua c's are supposed the best of the HOB but if you are used to using the prism...they are very effective the drawback is readjusting them everytime you empty the cup.

so i can't recommend either one of them...i have also used the crp backbacks...i like the aqua c and prism better then both those...

i now use euroreef and only euroreef.

Jeremy at CRA has some Euro Reef Knock offs that would probably do the trick for you, but they are not hang on backs. THe smallest one is cheap, and effective. (I will be running one on my 60 gallon system once I've purchased all of my scuba equipment $$$).

If you want a HOB, the aqua c is a great skimmer, if not slightly bulky. Prizm's (i am told) don't work particularly great.

you could check out ETSS, or Proclear. ETSS will be much more expensive than the proclear. However i have had alot of sucess with a proclear. If money isnt an issue. euro reef or ETSS. However for a 29 gallon i seems almost overkill to run anyting super expensive on it.

could be worse, you could be in my shoes. i have a via aqua on mine. it loses prime once a day haha. Ill get my new one soon!

I am wondering is the Aqua C Remora better

with out a doubt the AquaC is better than the prizm

i agree with Piscevore go with a CRA in sump i like AquaC s but the urchin remora are just ok in comparison to the EV series. plus the euro style skimmers are truely plug and play.

I run a Euroreef ES 5-3 on my 75G with sump. It is awesome. I've also used CPR BakPak 2R's. They are nice for anything less than 50 gallons. I just had a Red Sea Prism on my 26 Bow and it is a pain in the butt to adjust and you will tweak it constantly. I just took it off and put on an AquaC Remora. It's pulled more junk from the 26 Bow in 24 hours than the Prism did in two weeks.

If you go with a HOT skimmer for a system 50 gallons or less, the BakPak 2R or Remora would be fine. If you go over 50Gs, and are using an overflow and sump, I'd personally go to Jeremy for one of his skimmers or look into Euroreef or My Reef Creations.

Dave

Back