AquaAddicts Salem, NH

I like this store ilike the guys......But i think there kinda letting things slide in the maintainence area.The tanks are covered in algae and water marks aiptasia.Somebody who does not know them or their rep would be turned off,that being said i've bought a lot of fish and inverts and never lost a thing the store just looks gross lately and i hate to say that:(

AqauAddicts.......Awesome. I've bought many fish from them with no loss. Very healthy and still active. They are very knowledgable in the business and have never stirred me wrong. Joe knows my tank and knows what's compatable and would not sell me a fish just for the sake of a sale. He'll suggest what I'm looking for and if they don't have it, he'll order it and I'll hold my word and pick it up. I get the email list of "Just In". Get on the email list, it's worth it and worth the trip. Check them out. Oh BTW go over to the bar at the end of the building to the right, great subs, nice atmosphere and friendly people. I always go in, order a beer or 2, grab a sub, think about what I'm going to buy at AA. Decision made.....buy fish....more fish......leave happy. ahhh gotta love the hobby

I bought a six line wrasse from AA yesterday. It was my first experience with them and I must say he(not sure his name) was very helpful and easy to talk to. Ive had some bad experiences with stores like Sea World, and Exotic Marine previously so it was a relief to find AA thanks to you guys at BostonReefers! The only thing I may complain about, is he said the six line would be a fine first fish for my tank, and when I asked if its aggressive he said all fish are. But after reading some peoples posts on another thread of mine saying theyre usually introduced in your tank later, Im worried. I would have gotton the tomato clown first if I new this ahead of time. Dont get me wrong, I dont think that I think AA was trying to stear me in the wrong direction or just take a sale. It is partly my fault to for buying without doing much research on the fish first.

Oh well, Ill still be going there for more fish! :)

Hey man, I am sorry if you misunderstood what I was saying... You asked me what I thought would be better as a first fish between the 6-line wrasse and a Maroon Clown. I did say between the 2 fishs that they are both fairly equally agressive. I then said as far as which one I would go with I would take either one and then you picked the 6-line. I still believe that the 6-line is a fine first fish. I am glad you found us and look forward to seeing you in there again.

Mike

IMO AA is always an awsome store with great people, one of the best in new england.

Also, I get how 6 line advice can get confusing.

They are very often model reef tank citizens, but sometimes they get aggressive when they get big - hence the things you have read about them being a problem. IME, I have had two over about 4 yrs (lost one during an ICK treatment brought on by another fish), neither ever showed any aggression toward any other fish at all.

It gets confusing in the details on this particular fish - mike would not steer you wrong.

Don't worry about the 6 line at all, and if it does start to develop an attitude problem in a year or 3, send me a PM and I can loan you a fish trap to catch it.

Overall IMO AA is an A+++ store, don't get dismayed by conflicting opinions on 6 lines.

Edited. LFS employees from another store cannot post in another store's thread in the VE forum - even if positive. Please consult this forum's rules, and check out the User Agreement about commercial posts. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
my first experience was so so.. i walked in and was looking at live rock when i asked him (the older guy) a question.. (at the time he was reading a magazine) he looked up and answered it but halfway through the answer he looked back down in his magazine.. i was a little put off from it .. anyway .. i went back last week and i tell you what.. they have what you can't find!! this time he was more helpful.. maybe i got him in an off day.. ahh well

Joe and Mike are awesome! I past few times I've been there only Joe (the older guy) was there. He's always very help, not take anything away from Mike. Their prices are great, service is top notch. Always a pleasurable experience.

I have to say I love AA. Great store and joe and mike are great guys! My coral beauty I bought A year ago is still in great shape, also my favorite! By the way, stop picking on joe, calling him the old guy! LOL

yah I used to go there when it was a closer to my house. Good prices and good selection. I turned some fish into them once when I was moving the tank and got yelled at for puttin a rock in the bucket with the fish. haha.

Unfortunate Experience

A few days ago I visited AA and was very disappointed. It wasn't the service I was disappointed with, he (not sure of his name) answered all my questions, but instead of steering me in the right direction and giving me advice he decided to be EXTREMELY discouraging and negative. Specifically when asking about lighting, filters, etc we were told everything we had was "garbage". I was told the way we had decided to cycle the tank was completely wrong and that it was never going to work out that way. Basically told me if I didn't open my wallet and dump it out, I would be better off getting out of the hobby. I was so discouraged when I left there that I considered coming home and posting my almost brand new tank and set up on the BRS marketplace. It was terrible. I'm hoping that it was just because of an off day and late hours, but it really turned me away from wanting to go back. Just my humble opinion.

Rebecca

A merchant should always do their best to never have a customer leave their establishment unhappy. I've been there a couple of times and I've had positive experiences so perhaps you should give them another chance. However, they are essentially correct - empty and dump the contents of your wallet. :D. This is an unfortunate reality of the hobby.

Last edited:
A very similar thing happened to me. Starting out I only had a bio-wheel for filtration, some PC lights (not so bad), no sump, no skimmer, and minimal flow. They helped me out a lot with upgrades and now I couldn't be happier. :)

Beckles, I've dealt with Mike a decent amount, and hes a great guy, but IME, hes not going to tell you what you want to hear if he doesnt believe it. If he thinks your equipment isnt going to get the job done, hes going to tell you that.

The problem is, so many people get bad advice at the start, and waste a lot of money, and someone has to come along and say "all your stuff is crap"

Post removed. The helping of others is encouraged within the BRS, but this forum is strictly for the discussion of first hand vendor experiences.

Post removed. The helping of others is encouraged within the BRS, but this forum is strictly for the discussion of first hand vendor experiences.

Back