AquaC EV180 vs LifeReef SVS 2-24 Protein Skimmer

Reef Madness

New Reef Junky
Hello BRS members!

We are newbies to the reefing hobby and to BRS. We have just purchased a used 55 gallon (non reef ready) tank and stand. Our intent is to be able to eventually have the option of softies, LPS and SPS, clams etc.

We've been doing a good amount of research on our new addiction this week. We plan to take things very slowly, partially as funds don't allow and we don't want to make the mistake of buying lessor quality items now, only to find we need to upgrade a few months down the line.

We are planning on having a sump, fuge setup and we are debating using a 20g tank we already own or possibly doing a DIY Acrylic set up. So before we get our sump together it seems to us we need to decide on which protein skimmer we will be using.

We are looking at 2 models as possiblities:
1) AquaC EV 180 with mag drive 7
2) LifeReef SVS 2-24

does anyone have any opinions on these two options?

Thank you so much and happy reefing!

Welcome to the Club :)

I would take the AquaC over the life reef. Also I wouldn't run it on a mag pump, AquaC's need a good pressure rated pump to work properly.

Also there are many other options, on a 55 I would be leaning towards a Octopus skimmer. They are fairly inexpensive and economical to run

thanks for the welcome delta!

we haven't considered an Octopus skimmer yet but we'll look into them now.

if we do decide to go with the AquaC what pump would you suggest? are Rio pumps better than the mags?

also, is there such a thing as over skimming?

Back