Ati Dimmable not working ReefGeek wont help

salthobby

BRS Member
My Ati dimmable light is not working, the led control panel is out, the light comes on maybe 20% with no fans, I don’t dare use it this way. I just bought this from reefgeek on Feb 28, this year, it is only a few weeks old. I just got off the phone with them and the guy tells me I need to unplug it for a day, if it’s still not working then I need to contact Ati directly. My tank has already been without light for a day then I need to keep it unplugged for another day and then have to contact Ati and deal with them. How many days is my reef going to suffer before I get the problem fixed. I asked to speak to Greg directly but was told he is unavailable. I will never do business with ReefGeek again I have a light that is only weeks old and they won’t replace it.

Corals can go without light for at least a week without ill effect.

Greg just called me and is trying to blame the problem on my Apex controller, says i got a voltage spike, I'm pretty skeptical about that. I had the light off on the manual setting in the apex because of some algae problem Im having, it was already off for a day when I turned it back on to enjoy my reef. This is when I noticed that the Ati controller was out and the light was not working properly.

ati north america is pretty good to deal with IME but Im surprised that Reefgeek wouldn't do something. THey helped my dad when his ballast blew...not like they warrantied the ballast but did supply it quickly. seeing its only a month or so old and the fixture is malfunctioning I would think theyd work with ATI to replace it no questions asked. Nothing like leaving it up to the consumer...no service or help besides call the manufacturer? poor. Ive purchased fixtures from websites and 6 mths down the road when something went wrong they helped me out and made the proper arrangements to get the fixture up and running again and those companies weren't nearly as big as reefgeek. I was looking at those LED/T5 hybrid lights but if that's what they call service then Ill be looking elsewhere to spend my money when it comes time and when I need bulbs.

Last edited:
Should at the very least have a 30 day return policy. Jeesh even crappy stores have that
Ya think that these places we spend countless of thousands of dollars at would help us out every now and then

i bought my ATI light from aquariumspecialty this past Xmas. when the fixture arrived, it has a little dent caused by the shipping carrier.
a single email to their customer service, I got my replacement the next 48 hrs.
the manual says contact reefgeek should there be any problems with the light. I reached out to Reefgeek for help and they also turned their back on me. I am just glad that I bought mine from aquariumspecialty and they replaced the light for me within 48hrs without questions asked.

This is the reason every equipment purchase over $100 goes through a local retailer so I can get service after the sale. I got my ATI dimmable fixture at Aqua Addicts at the same price as online.

Fwiw, home depot has 24" t5 fixtures for dirt cheap, they are the metal ones, lamps are like 6500k so not pretty at all but will keep everything alive if it takes ati more than a week to fix you up .good luck. If you need help with making the temp light fixture pm me you number and I will walk you thru it.

O and before I forget, if you go this route you might want to lower your photo period down to 5 hr or so because algae loves lower k ratings!

Last edited:
This is the reason every equipment purchase over $100 goes through a local retailer so I can get service after the sale. I got my ATI dimmable fixture at Aqua Addicts at the same price as online.

Not always the case Bob,
Last year Patrick ordered an mp40 for me. When I brought home, the power adapter fried on the very first time plug in. I asked Patrick to exchange the mp40 for me or at least the power adapter, he asked me to contact votech to get a replacement

I've found that personal relationships with retailers are better for customer service. They see you, know you and for the most part are more helpful should a problem should arise.

My Ati dimmable light is not working, the led control panel is out, the light comes on maybe 20% with no fans, I don’t dare use it this way. I just bought this from reefgeek on Feb 28, this year, it is only a few weeks old. I just got off the phone with them and the guy tells me I need to unplug it for a day, if it’s still not working then I need to contact Ati directly. My tank has already been without light for a day then I need to keep it unplugged for another day and then have to contact Ati and deal with them. How many days is my reef going to suffer before I get the problem fixed. I asked to speak to Greg directly but was told he is unavailable. I will never do business with ReefGeek again I have a light that is only weeks old and they won’t replace it.

U know at first I thought on the other forum u were getting rubbed harshly .I read it a lil slower now. Now I see this post here .
If you didn't troubleshoot with RG per their instructions how can they help you ?
U made one phone call and wanted a new unit sent out the same day but had not completed the 15 hour reset . Is this correct ?
Like others have stated 1 day or even a week without light isn't going to hurt any livestock
IMHO that's pretty unrealistic and unfair to Reef Geeks if this is what occured .
BTW what's the status now ?

U know at first I thought on the other forum u were getting rubbed harshly .I read it a lil slower now. Now I see this post here .
If you didn't troubleshoot with RG per their instructions how can they help you ?
U made one phone call and wanted a new unit sent out the same day but had not completed the 15 hour reset . Is this correct ?
Like others have stated 1 day or even a week without light isn't going to hurt any livestock
IMHO that's pretty unrealistic and unfair to Reef Geeks if this is what occured .
BTW what's the status now ?

for your information he told me to unplug it for 15 hours, if that did not work then I had to call Ati period! So no he was not standing by his product, I would like to know how you would feel if you just spent 600.00 on a light that lasted a little over 5 weeks. Maybe it isn't his responsibility but he never said he would take care of me, I live in newhampshire, there are many places I could have bought that light from, and I would have received it a lot quicker also. But I thought that they would stand by the products they sell, that is the only reason for getting this light from them. I have spent thousands on my reef tank always trying to get the best of everything, and I will always be that way, I consider myself a good customer, so he just lost me as a customer . I see it as his loss not mine.

Did you do the "unplug it for 15 hours" thing?

If no, then you might be being a little difficult
If yes, then that this does sound like pretty poor customer service from a usually reputable company.

Either way I hope things get worked out :)

ReefGeek have a forum on RC. I would raise the issue there and see if they can make the situation better.
However, personally and I know you don't want to hear it, I don't think anyone will exchange you a new fixture after 4-5 weeks of usage. They will tell you to deal with the manufacturer or distributor. ReefGeek is a retailer and they wouldn't want to ship you a new unit and be stuck with a broken one.

I did a quick research for you and ATI do warranty their fixture to a year. Contact them and work with them. The area code 303 reveals that they're in Colorado so I can't imagine it would be hard to work with them.
http://www.atinorthamerica.com/warranty.php

What was so inappropriate I nearly stated what happened. I said he wouldnt replace it
Was not blaming you for the actions, it was more so the others that harped all over you.

Did you and ReefGeek part peacefully?

Back