ATO pump siphon issues

spongebob

BRS Member
I have a 55 gallon tank with rodi water for ato system. I have JBJ ato unit with a 1200 pump
the unit will shut off but the pump will siphon the water and not stop?
I also tried a mag pump with same problem..
the bottom of the drum is on the floor and the end of the hose feeding the sump is 18" off the floor
I had this unit with a 5 gallon bucket and it worked fine?

Is the line the pumps into your tank in the water? If so tank it out of the water and it should stop.

Yup, raise the output from the ATO so it's feeding the water into the display (instead of the sump) and the problem will be solved. Just don't submerge the line in the display water or you will get a siphon in the opposite direction.

Currently your ATO pump is at floor level, but the actual top of the water level in the ATO container is what counts, and that if that level is any higher than the height of the ATO outlet you'll get a siphon.

Yup, raise the output from the ATO so it's feeding the water into the display (instead of the sump) and the problem will be solved. Just don't submerge the line in the display water or you will get a siphon in the opposite direction.

Currently your ATO pump is at floor level, but the actual top of the water level in the ATO container is what counts, and that if that level is any higher than the height of the ATO outlet you'll get a siphon.

Better said then how I put it. But this is what I mean. The out put on mine is a few inches above the sump max waterline

Put a check valve (if that is the name) in the line to stop water returns. And do all what was suggested in previous postings.

Last edited:
If you cannot raise the output of the ato water outlet to your tank you can make a small pinhole in the plumbing at the top but just inside the barrel. The hole will allow air in and should break the syphon. Just make sure the hole is in a pluming piece that is in the barrel as water will spray out of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same problem with our new ATO reservoir, because it's about 2 feet tall and I was pumping into our sump which is only 1 foot tall.

I added a siphon break by cutting larger diameter tubing and raising it up over 2 feet from the sump and then placing the ATO reservoir line into that tube. Because I'm using two overlapping tubes theres less chance of leakage vs. putting a hole in the ATO line itself, which has worked out well over the last year or so.

Back