Auto topoff placement question

mickeyfinn

Non-member
I bought a Reef Fanatic level controller and an aqua lifter 20 pump for auto ro/di topoff, but I'm having trouble deciding what to do for a reservior. Right now I have a 5 gallon res. that I keep ro/di water ready all the ttime. The reservoir is located above my tank and sump so I can gravity feed water to the sump and to my make-up container.

My question is, can I run a line into the ro/do res and then to the pump and then to the sump without it siphoning water constantly to the sump? The set-up pictures (directions that came with the pump) show the top-off res level with the sump.

Or......would I need a completely seperate tank to hold water for top-off that is level or below the sump??

Thanks,
Mike

My res was level with my sump. I had a PH that pushed water into the sump. My trick was to have the hose higher than the waterlevel so the siphon would break when the PH turned off.

OK, I wonder if I ran a line from the ro/di tank higher than my display tank and then put the outlet hose into my overflow (not under water). I don't think it would change salinity any more than having it in the sump, would it?

I have the same controller. You've seen my setup. I have a separate 20 gal container that I manually fill. I wouldn't us a Di line. If your switch was to stick It could rapidly lower the S.G. of the tank. I only use one of the float switches in my sump, but I have a larger water volume. I'd recommend setting one switch for low level and the other for hi limit. (mount one right side up the other upside down)

Good point Bill, I didn't think of that.

Maybe I should just install another water holding tank. Should I locate the new top-off holding tank below the sump (or where ever I decide to pump the water into)?

Here's a drawing of what I was originally thinking of doing.

WholeFishTankset-up.gif

Your outlet (end of hose) from the aqualifter needs to be higher than your water source or it will dontinue to syphon, although slowly when the power is cut.

OK, I wonder if I ran a line from the ro/di tank higher than my display tank and then put the outlet hose into my overflow (not under water). I don't think it would change salinity any more than having it in the sump, would it?

Yes, If the res is lower than the display, then you can just run the output from the aqualifter into the display (but not submerged) and then you won't have to worry about siphioning. Leave the sensor in the sump and everything will work fine.

OK, thanks for the input folks. I'm going to get a whole seperate container for my top-off that does not automatically fill up. That way no more than what I have in the container will ever have a chance to reach my sump. Good info.

Back