Babies!

Joe Rice

Staff member
BRS Member
Now the hard part - keeping them alive.

PXL_20230701_170835666.jpg

That's cool and impressive. Needing some more details on how you got that far

Not that impressive. Banggais cardinalfish are about the easiest saltwater fish to get to spawn.

I bought 3 Banggais at Tropic Isle a few months ago and put them in my 20g long softie tank that has no other fish in it. The only filtration is a hang-on-back Seachem Tidal filter. I also change a gallon of water every other day or so. Turns out I had 1 female and 2 males.

I noticed the first male mouthbrooding a couple of months ago and just watched hoping that perhaps a few would just survive without my intervention. No such luck and, in fact, shortly after he released the fry, he died. Apparently that's common as they're pretty weak after three weeks of not eating and the female will try to mate with him as soon as he's released the fry and he needs to get his strength back before he's up for that.

Then I noticed the second male mouthbrooding. This time at about 20 days, I removed him and placed him in a 5 gallon tank with lots of places for the fry to hide. The next day (yesterday) I noticed 2 babies and today I'm up to 9. I've also noticed two fry that aren't doing well.

I'm feeding them baby brine shrimp. Can't tell for sure if they're eating yet. I've read that they will survive for a day or two on their yolks sacs so I'm not counting my chickens yet.

Last edited:
Day 3. I count 12 so far but it's hard to see very deeply into the plastic plant where most are hiding. I think they're eating the baby brine shrimp I'm putting in but I'm not certain.

The adult male still isn't eating and seems to still be holding some in his mouth.

Wow this is very cool! Good luck on raising some to adulthood. Plenty people on the forums recommending newly hatched brine as food so hopefully you have success too

That’s awesome chief. Congratulations on your success. And fingers crossed on getting them to eat and healthy. I’m praying and wishing you the best in this awesome experience. Good luck and keep us posted.
I’ll be interested in a pair or so if and when they’re ready.

Very cool, Joe! I just ordered a group of these guys myself, hoping for a pair or two. Would love to hear about your experiences raising the fry

They're 23 days old as of today. Went on vacation for 3 days and had to leave them under the care of fish sitters and only lost one. Still have 21 all in a 5 gallon tank at the moment. Apparently they can develop swim bladder problems if only fed baby brine shrimp so I made the effort to get them onto pellet food which, of course, is also important if they're ever going to be sellable.

I change about a gallon of water a day and have a tiny filter in there as well.

They're 23 days old as of today. Went on vacation for 3 days and had to leave them under the care of fish sitters and only lost one. Still have 21 all in a 5 gallon tank at the moment. Apparently they can develop swim bladder problems if only fed baby brine shrimp so I made the effort to get them onto pellet food which, of course, is also important if they're ever going to be sellable.

I change about a gallon of water a day and have a tiny filter in there as well.

Wow, that’s amazing

Back