Baby Shrimp!

One Eye

former vp of pr
I have hundreds of baby shrimp running around my fuge. They're not Mysis. They don't have the curved torso. They have a straight torso like peppermints and cleaners. I have Skunk Cleaners, Fire Shrimp and Peppermints but I think these are baby Peps. They are almost completely clear right now. They look like they may be of size to actualy survive.

I had to post here, I got kinda excited (never seen this in my tanks before) and started talking about it...Deb and the kids gave me the look...the one that means I really am a fish geek...so I had to come tell the rest of you geeks!! :D

some are 1/4" and less. Others are 3/8 to 1/2". They look like they are actively hunting. There's plenty of pods in there for them. Not really sure what they eay at that size, but I'm guessing they've gotten past the plankton-rotifer stage.

Wow. Big! How is your fuge fed? Would the larvae have to go through a pump to get there, or does the overflow tee off into your refugium?

They could be, but I've never introduced glass shrimp to this system and it looks like the upper body is starting to show the red striped coloring of the peppermints.

Also, I have 2 tanks linked to this fuge, both tanks house 6 peps each, total of 12 peps....a shrimp orgy.

I've got baby shrimp in my tank as well and I believe them to be peppermints based on the coloration (although they are primarily translucent)...I still haven't been able to get any in a pic though; they are fast and my fuge is usually too loaded with algae to see in there very well.

Time for drawn buttah and gahlic... ;)

My peps breed just as often as the glass shrimp. I've never seen any make it past the planktonic stage, but then again, I'm afraid of my fuge *shudders* I have to thin out some macro in there tonight. I'm goin' huntin!

Dave

Yup, the fuge can be a scary place! There doesn't seem to be as many today, but then again I didn't even notice them until the main lights went off and just the fuge light was on last night.

Back