raising baby shrimp

etszoo

Thread Killer
BRS Member
I have found some small shrimp skins (that's molts before the jokes fly!) Not
sure if they are peppermints or cleaner (I have both). The fuge is so dense
with macro I can not see in there. Anyone have any luck raising them? If they
are as big as the molts I have seen, food is not anything I should have to worry about? Or is there anything I should be adding?
Thanks
-Eric

Are you sure those are cleaner or peppermints? I would risk a guess that they're pods... the larval stage of the shrimps is the toughest one, so if they made it through that phase and developed enough to be molting, I'd say you don't have to worry about adding anything... I just doubt they're really shrimp molts.

Nuno

The shell was pretty small. I know it might be wishful thinking. However pods are pretty
distinctive and I hope I can tell the difference by now. But on that same note the shell
was blowing around in the display tank...meaning it went through the mag12. Maybe
the mag reconfigured the shell to look like a shrimp.;)

Sorry Ray. It was only about 1/8 to 3/16 I would imagine the skin was larger than the
actual (hopefully) shrimp.

When I see pod molts they are about that size, and look like small shrimp (to me at least).

From what I've read, shrimp are a little tricky to raise. Skunks are even harder than peppermints, so if you got lucky, it's more likely to be the peppermints. I believe after the larval stage they'll eat baby brine shrimp. So if you're trying to raise them that might be good to add. There's a book called "Raising and Training Your Peppermint Shrimp" which is pretty comprehensive on the subject. Maybe the BRS library has a copy. Otherwise you can borrow mine.

All that said, I'd expect they're pod molts though.

NateHanson said:
There's a book called "Raising and Training Your Peppermint Shrimp"

What exactly can you train a peppermint shrimp to do? :confused: :D

It reminds me of when I was trying to explain to my wife about some treatments causing brain damage in inverts as a side-effect... her reaction: "it's a shrimp, for god's sake, how much brain damage can they get?" :D

Nuno

WARNING. This section may convince your family that you need professional help.

This preface is right under the chapter title "Training Your Shrimp"

Basically she says you can train them to eat out of your hand, be comfortable with you carrying them out of the aquarium in a small puddle in your cupped hand, and maybe, (and this is apparently the very apogee of a shrimp-trainer's career) you can train one particularly brave shrimp to crawl out of the water into a puddle in your cupped hand resting on the water's surface.

Eric, What you are seeing are most likely mysids and their molts(not to be confused with freshwater mysis that we feed frozen). They are tiny shrimp that get no bigger than a large pod and are great food for your fish. I have some in my tank and have no idea how they got there. They will multiply in a fuge.

Yeah. I guess they could have been in the chaeto you gave me. You need any back?lol

my pepermint shrimp just had babies last week. they looked like dragonflys when I first seen them last week, big eyes and little body. now they are starting to get redish. Im not trying to raise them, but if they live thats great

Jeff,

What else is in the tank with the babies? I have seen my cleaners and peps have babies before. NONE of them lasted long enough for me to study them. They quickly become fish fodder in my system.

Neato!!

blue tang,yellow tank, marrone clown, 5 large pepermint shrimp 1 coral banded shrimp and 2 brittle stars.. I think most of them got eaten because there where hundreds in the sump the first time I spoted them, now theres only a few behind my rockwork

just looked, thier still there, they are about 1/4" maybe smaller, im just guessing. they are transparent red and swimming like crazy.

Last edited:
Back