Baby white spotted bamboo shark

Sdeluca10

BRS Member
So I rescued a baby white spotted bamboo shark from my LFS. I have proper housing for it.
I’m writing here to see if anyone has first hand experience with them.
The first 3 days he was in my tank I was able to get him to eat frozen pieces of squid. Now I’m going on 3 days of him grabbing the squid, shaking it around and eventually dropping it and not actually ingesting it. I try again to put the squid in front of its face and it does the same thing. And eventually it swims away from the tongs when I retry to get it to eat. Could it just not be hungry? How long can it go without eating before I should get worried?
I’ll note, I believe it was about 2-3 weeks old when I purchased it. Its tank mates consist of all peaceful fish.
I’m not too worried at the moment, just looking for any other first hand insight on the matter, and furthermore any first hand advice moving forward.
He’s still moving around the tank, getting comfortable, and like I said, still grabbing food and shaking it around. I don’t believe it’s sick, unhealthy, unhappy, anything like that.

I have had them in the past and miss them a lot. When they are young they do need to be hand fed but it seems as though you are already doing that? I would also ensure you get "fresh" seafood. My sharks used to be VERY picky and would not touch anything such as tuna that was died to be red they would not touch. Its really had to know what is REALLY real these days but they can tell.

I am gonna start by saying if its a white spot its gonna get big and chances are your tank is not large enough for one. I currently have a gray bamboo now and he's a pig. He really only likes scallops but I mix his diet all the time he eats every 3 days and at 22 inches now eats at 1.5 oz of food a sitting. I got at 13in and was feeding .5 oz evey 3 day. I feed mine with long grabbers in the same spot every feeding and he can smell his food. Mine is in my reef and doing very well. Inam in the process of upgrading and looking for 1-2 more sharks. Good luck with yours!

Back