Back from a long hiatus with a new build!

new2saltyfish

Non-member
Well, i’ve been away for a while and am just getting back into having a salt water tank. About to build a nano 5 gallon reef. Since the last time i’ve had a tank, it looks like a lot has changed, especially with lighting. The last time i had a tank, led lights were running in the 1000’s. Quick search online and i see some for stupid low prices. Here is a picture of the setup just waiting to begin.

My plants are to have zoo’s/ softies with some lps. I came across this light on amazon
( Aquarium Lights –2nd Generation A029 Aquarium LED Light 30Watts Saltwater Lighting with Touch Control, 3W/5W LED Chips for Coral Reef Nano Fish Tank Marine Tanks with Timer https://a.co/d/5QoeBVR ), but things have changed so much, and that’s so cheap, i am weary. Does anyone have any light suggestions?

Attachments

• 80FE51C8-6B3B-408E-8B13-80ACCC460109.jpeg
    80FE51C8-6B3B-408E-8B13-80ACCC460109.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 151
I have some advice on lights. There are no good cheap ones if you want to have corals. Be sure to spend at least twice what you're comfortable with to avoid buyer's remorse in 6 months. I've not been let down with anything from Kessil, but $2000 to light a 4 or 5 foot box is a lot. Just be aware the savings you pocket on cheap lights will quickly get swallowed up in death, replacement, and slow growth. Not the area to skimp on in my opinion. Only had bigger tanks and can't really comment on what might be best for a smaller tank. Welcome to the site and best of luck!

I agree with buying the right equipment the first time. So many times I have tried to save money and buy something cheaper and then ended up spending more to get what I originally wanted. I have the maxspect jump on a nano and have used the ai prime. Both overkill for a 5 gallon, but when you upgrade inevitably you won't have to get a new light.

With that being said, if you want mostly softies I think a lot cheap lights will do just fine on a 5g tank.

Thanks for the replies! I haven’t had a saltwater tank for about 6 years or so so a lot has changed. I ask because i agree. Don’t plan on upgrading for another few years ( finishing up residency ). I know cheap lights are a mistake (i’ve made that before) so any suggestions of specific ones are must appreciated! Something that sits on top would be ideal.

Welcome back.
Regarding the led light you mentioned:

First of all, it is not a 30w led. The led chips are rated at 27w total but the actual wattage is about 10w. This type of practice that advertising rated wattage instead of actual wattage is very common for many Amazon/eBay/AliExp sellers.

2nd, the “programming” of this led is very strange, you need to plug the light in a timer than wait 30 minutes to see the full brightness that you set the light at.
On the other hand, it will work on 5 gallon tank.

Ahh that sounds like a pain. I think i may go with an ai prime 16hd reef. Seems to be overkill but looks like i can dial it down with the app so it should work out!

Curious if you got the AI or a cheapo and how things worked out. Hope you've had success and enjoying reefing again.

I am using those lights but I am keeping softies only on this tank. The actual wattage consumption is 27W I measured it at the AC plug with an instrument. I also took some par readings and I get about 280 at 3" below the waterline then about 180 at 10 inches and about 50 at the sand bed in a Waterbox 20 cube. I have to say all the corals are looking healthy with no issues so far. The programming is easy just plug them in at the time you want your light cycle to start and then you can set the timer to go on for 8,10,12,14 hrs it has a ramp up of 30 mins and ramp down 30 mins before it shuts off

Ended up getting the ai prime. Also moved the tank for more room. Perk of a small tank is it’s pretty packed already. Doing 2.5 gallon water changes twice per week and everything is doing really well! Trying to post a small video from my iphone. Anyone know how?

Back