Back in the hobby after 10 year hiatus

robstercraw

Non-member
Hi All,
I had a 90G back in 2000 and had quite a good experience with it. But, due to marriage, move and kids I had to exit the hobby for a while. Now my kids would like a "fish" to look at and I figured this would be a perfect way to get back into the hobby.

While I do not think I have the time available to repeat the 90G scale tank, I am interested in setting up a smaller tank, nano or the red sea max 130D setup.

Can anyone offer advice? I was mainly into the soft corals, live rock and a few fish. Not looking for something that will occupy my life as the 90 did.
I am a scuba diver and have seen first hand the decline of reefs, so I do not want to contribute to that in any way.

In the day, I had ETS skimmer, Kalkwasser reactor, wet/dry and VHO lights. I was stockpiling large garbage cans of makeup water etc and it was everywhere. Looking for a smaller and more presentable setup, that wont require massive amounts of equipment and buckets everywhere.

Should I sit on the sidelines and get the goldfish my wife wants, or should I get back into a smaller scale reef? Need some advice.
I like the packaging of the red sea, as it takes out the time and effort of custom piecing a system together.

Thanks in advance.

:w to the club.

Why not setup up both :eek:.

I have never run an AIO (all in one) system but maybe others can chime in with their experience.

I've had several AIO systems and I do not care for them. The filter's cramped, you have a hard time running carbon or GFO, lighting can be an issue and your skimmer choices are limited. I'd prefer a 40-60 tank driled with a glass holes dot com overflow and a small 15 gallon sump below. My 60 gallon Marineland 24"x24"x24" cube cost $200, the overflow cost $40. I built the stand for a couple of hundred. With lights, skimmer and equipment I probably have $3000 tied up. But it's a lot better tank than an AIO. You could do a 30 cube for probably $1500 if you shopped wisely.

Back