Background material or paint for back of tank?

Gsxkid

BRS Member
So I have always painted the back of my tanks blue. My new tank is acrylic and I'm afraid to paint it. There's just no going back on it. At least with glass you could scrape the paint and clean it up.

How is that blue/black background material from the pet stores? I feel like you will be able to tell it's a background like it won't sit flush? Any input?

I have used it all, I like paint the best but that material is only good if ya use that stuff they sell that sticks it to the tank .
It feels like Vaseline almost, u rub it on the tank then adhear the background to the tank, worked good but salt creep can make it come off

That's what I'm affraid of. Get any water down the back of the tank and it's game over. My tank is going to sit tight to the wall so once it's filled and running if I spill water back there I can't just peel it off and fix it.

if you don't want to paint the acrylic tank, there is always window tinting found at any good after market (car) store. They sell it so dark you will not be able to see through.

I used plasti dip on my glass tank. You can peel it off if you decide you want to change the color

The window tint like the paint, you can't change your mind about. Once it adheres it's game over. in order to put the film on properly you have to use a solution of soapy water and a squeegee to get all the bubbles out. Then it takes about 7 or 8 days for all the water to dry from underneath. I've always liked the look of the black background. It gives a striking contrast to the colors of the corals whereas the blue just looks old and dated.

I used the blue shiny background paper with the gel for it on my tank and wish I painted it. I put it on while laying the tank on it's front on the floor so I was able to lay it out flat and squeegee all the bubbles out, about 3 months in the edges starting curling and then the middle started lifting out in kind of like wrinkles. Luckily I now have Coraline algae covering most of it so not an issue but still it did not last very long and would not do it again. maybe on a smaller tank it would have been different but on a 6' 24" deep tank it did not meet expectations.

Thanks for all the replies pretty much made up my mind in the film type background. I like the plasti dip idea I've never used that stuff. How hard is it to peel off? Will it last like paint? Does it look the same as paint? Do you have a picture?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454552048.943737.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454552065.250591.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454552082.006419.jpg

You can try it on a spot then try peeling it off. It took about 4 coats. 30 min. Apart

Is the coverage of a can similar to spray paint? Or does it require more cans?

Back