Ballast, Electronic vs Magnetic

naturebatslast

Senior Toad Licker
Hey to all, a question regarding electronicballast vs magnetic ballast. From what I understand, electronic is a more versitile ballast beig able to fire a wider variety of bulbs. Correct? But HQI ballast can only fire HQI bulbs. I'm wrestling between a RC special @ HelloLights, retrofit 250w electronic or (as suggested here) the Reef OpticsIII 250w HQI. Would anyone have a comment?
Thanks, NBL

It's actually a bit more complicated.

Most or all bulbs can be run on an HQI ballast (not iwasiki), but they will more or less be overdriven (not necessarily bad, burn brighter, run hotter, use more electricity, may or may not shorten bulb life).

Electronic ballasts usually claim to be usable with any bulb, but I've been told they frequently underdrive HQI bulbs, leading to shortened bulb life/bulb failure. Generally speaking, any bulb on an electronic ballast will use less electricity, run cooler, but not burn as bright. Overall electronic can be a great option, but maybe not as great as is sounds at first.

Google search for "sanjay MH testing", you'll find extensive info that is very helpful after you get through the confused phase. Also search RC and or RDO for "MH ballasts and bulbs" (use google to search RC if the search function won't work).

Research this for a while before making a purchase, it's worth the time as there are a million opinions to weed through and light cost a lot.

jk

jimmyj7090 said:
It's actually a bit more complicated.

Most or all bulbs can be run on an HQI ballast (not iwasiki), but they will more or less be overdriven (not necessarily bad, burn brighter, run hotter, use more electricity, may or may not shorten bulb life).

Electronic ballasts usually claim to be usable with any bulb, but I've been told they frequently underdrive HQI bulbs, leading to shortened bulb life/bulb failure. Generally speaking, any bulb on an electronic ballast will use less electricity, run cooler, but not burn as bright. Overall electronic can be a great option, but maybe not as great as is sounds at first.

I'm confused as hell....:confused:

Typically, HQI (double ended) bulbs require more power on average than a SE (single ended) bulb.

So, take for example a PFO HQI ballast. It is a magnetic ballast. It can fire both single ended (SE) and double ended (HQI) bulbs. However, if a SE bulb is ran on it, it will receive more power than it is built for, so the bulb is being "overdriven". However, this is not necessarily a bad thing. They do fire brighter and hotter, but so far there has been no evidence of bulbs having premature life this way. Also, there is almost nothing that can burn up or break in a magnetic ballast. Power is generated by a large transformer and capicator.

On the other hand, an electronic ballast "senses" the type of bulb being used (HQI or SE), and outputs the appropriate power. However, it generates its power through electronic circuitry. This is a more efficient way of generating power, but all electronic ballasts on the market today put on just what is needed for power, and no more. There are also many electronic parts, which it is possible (although unlikely) to break.

So it is a tradeoff... brighter bulbs on a magnetic ballast that is HQI, but less efficient in terms of energy use, but less chance of a problem happening.

Hell is not confusing, there is one guy in charge & everyone gets the hot seat:)

Lets add to the confusion
Magnetic ballasts can hum.....can you name that tune?
Some say electronic ballasts are more prone to failure...especially from power outages & surges

Pick a thread, any thread & get different opinions & experiences :D
Some like one, some another. I have all magnetic so far

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=d8988c767708cd
0287492862dcaae4bc&threadid=667942&highlight=electronic+ballast+failure

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/s...d=616227&highlight=electronic+ballast+failure

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/s...d=447216&highlight=electronic+ballast+failure

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/s...d=442548&highlight=electronic+ballast+failure

Also check out the stickie in the lighting forum on RC

Knowledge is Power!

Thanks for the responses. There is almost too much info out there, one contradicting the other. I've checked out Sanjay's MH pages, and even after 4 years of Biology , I feel like an idiot reading his data. Thanks for straightfoward info. NBL

My last house had small frequent power outages - most times less then a minute. I had my pump on my tank on a UPS & my computer
I lost a hd in my PC once when I didn't have it on the UPS (2nd tank).

Due to the "possible issue" of failure of electronic ballast failure I went with magnetic. Plus they just seem to last forever.
And expense was an issue...still is :)
As electric prices climb, and electronic ballasts become even better, it may be the very best option (and may still be right now)

I've only had magnetic, and haven't had one fail in over 3 years of use - so far. I have one that I swapped out that was humming a little louder...but I haven't retested it

I'm running one electronic 250W ballast right now along with two 175W magnetic. Here's my 2 Cents...The electronic fires the bulbs faster and runs completely silent. It is also a lot cooler, lighter, and smaller. I've been told that electronic ballasts will burn some bulbs with a yellow tint somewhat whiter. I will be swapping my magnetic ballasts for electronic pretty soon, so I'll at least be able to compare.

"brighter bulbs on a magnetic ballast that is HQI, but less efficient in terms of energy use, but less chance of a problem happening."

Actually, if you look at San Jay's data, the HQI is more efficient then many electronic ballasts for many bulbs. Sorry to muddy the water even more

Back