bare bottom tank

nemogonecrazy

Non-member
i was going to test a bare bottom tank what can i use to put on the bottom of the tank that looks kind of like sand and will act as a pad to protect the glass. Also where can i find the material?

nemogonecrazy said:
i was going to test a bare bottom tank what can i use to put on the bottom of the tank that looks kind of like sand and will act as a pad to protect the glass. Also where can i find the material?

a lot of people are useing this "starlite or starfire" (I can't remember the exact name) material for their tank bottoms. its basicly cutting board metarial, and its white, so it looks like sand.

There is a lot of material on this on reefcentral. Starboard can be used on the bottom, and then you can put a layer of epoxy glue on the starboard and press sand into it to give it the look of sand. Only problem with the epoxy / sand combo is you turn the bottom of the tank into a giant piece of sandpaper. If you have fish that like to itch themselves at any time on the sand, they tear themselves up :(

better off ordering it. no local has come close to the online price. i know...i've been looking

Also note that there are a few critters that like sand.
Many species of wrasse bury themselves in sand to sleep or to hide when scared.
Not having a sand bed rules out a few animals.

Back