Basement Fish Room Humidity control

AnthonyP

Non-member
I have an unfinished moist basement that runs its own dehumidifier. Coupled with this hobby I am sure it is not helping out my house. I built a 9x7 enclosed fish room in my basement. Basically a framed in box with a low ceiling (6' 6") and door and plywood walls. I rolled some insulation on the outside of the walls (the side you can see when standing outside the fish room). I did not cover this insulation as it is double faced (vapor barrrier style....)

What are other people doing for air exchange in their fish room enclosures?

I am thinking of getting a small bathroom fan and venting it outside and possibly using outside air to be vented in to replace....How does that sound? Or should I use the house air? I am afraid if I use the house air and when the exhaust fan is not running the fish room air will rise into the house...? Is that true?

This wouldn't be super cost effective, but you could run the bathroom fan off of a humidity controller. You set it to a specific level and if it detects a higher humidity, it kicks the fan on. In the long run, it would be way more cost effective than leaving the fan on 24/7.

I definitely recommend getting that humid air out via a fan though. Beats emptying a dehumidifier all the time.

I would just supply the fish room with house air, if you supply straight cold air from outside, it's gonna be hella cold in the winter and your heaters will be destroying your electricity bill! Plus with the humidity controller, you won't have to worry about the humidity flowing back into your house.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Check out my build thread. i did what duff is talking about. I cant post links with my phone but click on my tank pick on the brs home page and youll see it.

fwiw I open my windows every time the temp is greater than my basement temp, this helps a bit and is pretty inexpensive lol

I run a half amp bathroom fan and vent it outside it is extremely cost effective. 50watts 24/7 is your cheapest solution. Humidistat is overkill IME, in a tank room it will run constantly regardless.

It won't totally solve the issue in the summer if you do not have central air you will need to run a dehumidifier if you have a naturally moist cellar, which is pretty typical.

Careful if you draw air in from outside all it takes is a pesticide sprayed close enough to your air intake and you could be in trouble.

I am working on a basement build myself. Currently just have a dehumidifier draining into a sump drain in the floor.
I was thinking of something like this. I haven't settled on this idea yet, still coming up with options to consider.

With the skimmer running most all the time, there should be plenty of fresh air coming in, and with the humidity sensor and fan, humid air going out. For when the fan can't handle the humidity, the dehumidifier can play catch-up.

AIR OUT:

-Install air-vent duct/grills, etc.
-Install in-line fan in ducting.
-Hook fan up to humidity sensor.

AIR IN:

My skimmer has two air intakes. It is an older model downdraft ETSS800.
-Hook two air intakes to air intake from outside.
-Optional: filter air with carbon(?) Put filter in-line between skimmer and feed from outside.

My 300 gallon is in my basement. Its in wall ,and the backside is in a fishroom that has a exhaust fan blowing out 24/7.

great feedback so anyone have specs or model numbers etc...on the exhaust fans that run 24/7? I estimate a 50w fan 24/7 would be about $6.80 per month on my bill which is very reasonable considering what it will provide.

When figuruing the cost of running that 50 watt fan, the electricity it draws will be dwarfed by the heating or airconditioning that you will be blowing outside.
I'd spend a few bucks on a humidistat and you might be surprised how infrequently the fan needs to run. Most houses are very dry in the winter.

A few more issues and updates

I have installed a panasonic 16w fan and have it running 24/7 and it appears to be working but with all of this muggy weather the humidity is still up there in the room. Currently I have a small louver vent on the lower corner fish room wall that is basically just drawing in the unfinished basement air but my thought was to change that and install 4" duct work from the 1'st floor. Then use the "Great Stuff foam" and go around all edges to ensure proper seal etc...So ideally I will have a 9x7 humidity enclosed/ sealed box in my basement taking in the less humid air from upstairs and blowing out the humid air....Is that a good plan? Should I also cut some plexi glass to cover the sumps? What about the skimmer air? Should that also come from somewhere other than the fish room? As it is now my ph is 8.3 to 8.5 with just the muggy basement air and the skimmer just sucking in air from the fishroom and dumping waste in a 5 gal collection bucket.... Any input much appreciated

Thanks

I think some of this may depend on how high your cellar is out of the ground.

You may be able to mount a dehumidefier up higher and drain it through you cellar wall. If this is making any sense or painting a picture for you.

Just a thought.

Back