What would you put in a basement fish room?

JayM

Is the algae gone yet?
BRS Member
Got the green light to finish off the area where my sump lives now into an official 'Fish Room'.

Interested in thoughts for what you would have in it.

High level plans so far:

Beeridgerator to keep frozen food and other necessities :D
It's own heat zone (It's down to 64 down there already this winter!)
Tied into Central AC system
Dehumidifier / Fresh air source
3 of it's own dedicated circuits (2 on auto-transfer generator backup)
A well-lit counter with work space and a sink, for fragging, DIY, cleaning, etc.
Shelves or cabinets underneath for storage.
RODI storage.
Internet access for the ACIII

Appreciate thoughts from those that have done this...

big @ss tv with a 5.1 soundsystem.
you could always put a shower down there so you never have to go upstairs... this is me thinking like a college kid

Dedicated quarantine and incoming treatment setup.

An exhaust fan on a humidistat

I would build a small deck to raise your sump off the floor and insulate under your sump.

Be careful with that fresh air source it killed me, make sure if you pull air in from outside your house you filtered it. Liquid lawn treatments can kill your tank IMPE

a way to exchange the air from inside to outside the house is a must. A heat-recovery ventilator is a great option.

a way to exchange the air from inside to outside the house is a must. A heat-recovery ventilator is a great option.

Heat recovery is the way to go .Do you have central heat and AC?
REZNOR has some of the best recover units .

The nice advantage is that if you have an existing warm air heat & A/C system you can tie the new recovery unit into the existing duct work. This will bring clean air in & exhaust the stale air throughout the entire home. Nice benefit!
View attachment 33795

Last edited:
After that maybe you could add a fish tank down there :)

(have a nano, mantis tank, special culture tank, clown fish breeding tank, something fun to look at while you hang out in the basement)

unfortuantely, my AC is a retrofit, and was installed after the baseboard hot water heating.....was going to add a zone of forced hot water from the furnace, and tap off the 4.5 ton unit for the first floor for AC. Does that change the exchanger issues?

Back