best brand name for 2 part calcium AND magnesium dosing?

Yup, what he said. Keep it circulating. It won't lose anything on the ca/alk/mg, but tropic marin regular is usually a bit low in ca and mg. IIRC the alk should be fine.

If the alk is low the PH can easily jump around a lot (lack of buffer effect).

If your levels are really low it can take a ton of supplements to bring it/them up. Also keep in mind that a lot of the off the shelf products will give you daily maintence doses in the directions but not say much if anything about how to raise levels.

Also FWIW, you might want to take that extra water change water you have and run all the same tests on it as a reality check. It sounds like your getting really low #s for everything so it would be worthwhile to rule out test error.

Another FWIW, I don't think salinity has been mentioned here. If that's low, then all the other levels will be low. That could explain a lot.

If Mag is really 800 you're going to have a hard time with alk even if everything else is good...

im going to do water changes until everything is better. 25% per /day
and probably start dosing on sunday.

I did run the system through GFO and carbon for 2 weeks straight without additives which would easily deplete everything.

Last edited:
im going to do water changes until everything is better. 25% per /day
and probably start dosing on sunday.

I did run the system through GFO and carbon for 2 weeks straight without additives which would easily deplete everything.

Does GFO and Carbon deplete stuff because I was unaware of this.

Anthony I would think that not dosing the tank for 2 weeks would lead to low levels with or without the carbon/GFO...

I'm sure it makes a small difference but IMO the not dosing for 2 weeks would be more of a factor than the GFO... I don't know anything either Anthony lol

Tests ran on the water which i mixed up for water changes yielded.

salinity 1.027
calcium 325-350
magnesium 1250
Alk 5.5 (dKH 15.5)

approx 35 gallons of water

Last post I meant bad not good lol. Your magnesium should be in the mid 1300 up to 1400. Raise you mag first. I'd raise the calcium at least up to the 400 range, I'd go higher as well up to 450. Lots of people prefer there levels in different ranges. dKH 8-10 IMO. Sorry to say salt batch from batch varies so test each new quantity that you recieve. There is no one "best" salt. I wish there was :)

FWIW, you can actually raise your MG quite a bit in one day without causing any issues. I've raised the MG by 200-300ppm in one dose on a tank fully loaded with SPS, LPS, and softies without having any issues. Just make sure you mix it with water before adding it to the tank to help it mix in better.

FWIW, you can actually raise your MG quite a bit in one day without causing any issues. I've raised the MG by 200-300ppm in one dose on a tank fully loaded with SPS, LPS, and softies without having any issues. Just make sure you mix it with water before adding it to the tank to help it mix in better.

Very true,and I would say the same with calcium.

DKh tested today its @ 10. (good )

magnesium was boasted up too around 1200 today from 875. no idea why its dropping so fast since saturdays water change. I ran GFO/Carbon for like 2 -3 hours max since I did the water change.

Will start messing with calcium tmrw. don't want to shock anyone inside

Back