Bi-directional Inline Pump

JBendel

BRS Member
I am thinking of getting a DC Pump... hooking it to a bridge to change water flow direction for inline water circulation. My inputs for inline always clogs up, but cycling direction should keep them clear, and should give more water movement (I think).

Has anyone done something similar, or are there pumps out there that have the reverse drive?

Thank you,

J.B.

J. B.

Can you explain what a Brdige is and what is a DC pump? Direct current as opposed to AC, alternating current? (talking electricity here)

DC Pump

I think you have it ... Pump runs off a DC Voltage ... Flip the polarity and it should run in the other direction. I can draw the schematics later but a bridge of 4 MOSFETs can flip the polarity ... with a little dead time and some slew rate ... should be able to cycle the pump without shortening it's life.

I am thinking a marine pump (boating), but most are noisy... most fish hobby pumps I see in the market are AC IN (I might need to take one apart), but hoping there's pump for an aquarium that's designed to run in both directions. The key is to find a pump that is quiet and can handle changing directions every few seconds.

Off to dinner,

J.B

I am looking to turn internal circulation over 5 or 6 times, but I 'd trade more turbulence for less GPH. My previous setups always suffered from deadspots ... My previous setup was a 20 gallon plexi with a ~20 gal Sump/refugium. Euro Reef in the Sump. ...Water pumped from the Fuge went through a SCWD to the tank ... and two power heads in the tank that were also cycled.

The circulation near the sand bed was never that great ... so I am thinking 1 inline pump that's bi-directional near the bottom 1/3 of the tank (Side to Side), and another inline bi directional attached in/out on the back (SCWD Fuge return is the same). From watching the Tunze Video that shows all the wave action .... it looks like it works by matching a harmonic on the tank. .... so with the pumps being bidirectional (push pull)... might be able to "dial in" to a similar harmonic and get more turbulence, and they should clean themselves.

Did look into just getting the Tunze system, but it's sized for much larger tanks ... probably turn my 20 gallon into a washing machine.

Regards,

J.B.

Back