big blizzard is on the way

hvusalt

Non-member
everyone please be prepared if the power outage happens! now is the time that reefers can help each others. please stay in touch with reefers near you in case you need help.

There are many other ways to keep your tank warm. Check out the disaster thread.

Blankets, microwave bottles of water, inverters. It may get to the point you have to use camping equipment to heat bottles of water. Sterno stoves, hobo stoves... Where are all those Boy Scouts out there.

Run your home heat a little higher to give you some time to react.

Just remember to keep safety and ventilation in mind.

Ooh no! I'm not prepared for this! I literally just got my tank running 4 months ago and only began stocking it about 1.5 months ago. What should I do to prepare? Any tips? I don't have a generator or anything. My tank already has enough trouble staying warm when it got super cold the other weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This isn't going to be good on my end we always lose power out my way and my generator is still in the shop getting fixed from the last storm. This is not going to be good

250 gal DD 120 sump 90 fuge

I`m in the same boat, new tank, not prepared...I`m worried.

Okay, I have a Coleman stove & can heat bottles of water to warm the tank, but I can`t come up with a means of providing aeration. Any ideas? I`m way out on the Cape and we have two small hardware stores with limited supplies.

could always hit walmart,dicks, or any bait store and get one of the air opperated buck we all keep our shinners in to airate your tank

could always hit walmart,dicks, or any bait store and get one of the air opperated buck we all keep our shinners in to airate your tank

Unfortunately, I'm an hour and 15 from the nearest Walmart, and I can't get out of work till 5 or 6. I'll probably just have to keep my fingers crossed & hope for the best...we usually don't get as much snow out here in Ptown.

It is only going to be a dusting up by me.... 2"-3". I mean 2'-3' ::::::::::::

And I still have to go to work regardless. I figure I will be on the road about 3-4hours tomorrow.

Wicked.jpg

I just ordered a 900w harbor freight generator for 99$. I'm on the hospital line so they turn my power on first usually but I'm nervous.

My Juno Check list;

Batteries put aside
Flash lights
Cobra 1500W Continuous Power Inverter
2 Cars Parked by the window (with full gas tanks. Who needs a generator :))
UPS Batteries back up Charging
2 Litter Soda bottles (ready to be filled with hot water)
Battery Pumps
Spare Heaters
Mj1200 Pumps
Camping Gas Lantern + Stove
Booze
Chicken wings, steak, soup, chicken pie, more Booze

Got to be honest, never really lost power for too long but June is making me a bit nervous... My heating is Gas, so hopefully that will stay on at least. I can always crank up the stove and oven to help heat the tank.

Good luck everyone! :cool:

Mountaineer: you can also aerate in a pinch by taking a pitcher of tank water and dumping it back in the tank from a foot or so up. A few pitcherfuls once or twice an hour. But for the next storm, those battery backup pumps plus airstone will run you under $15.

Mountaineer: you can also aerate in a pinch by taking a pitcher of tank water and dumping it back in the tank from a foot or so up. A few pitcherfuls once or twice an hour. But for the next storm, those battery backup pumps plus airstone will run you under $15.

Great advice! Thank you. So glad I found this forum. Yes, I'll be ordering one of those backup pumps straightaway.

Yeah I have 15g water change sitting so that I could do the mixing.

Dale, if we make it through it without losing power (or it comes on quickly) and you find yourself 2-3 days out gimmie a holler.

Higor, any issues with trying to siphon has out? I have an f150 with a 30 some gallon tank that is full. Simple as sticking a hose in there or is there some type of deterrent device installed?

Yeah I have 15g water change sitting so that I could do the mixing.

Dale, if we make it through it without losing power (or it comes on quickly) and you find yourself 2-3 days out gimmie a holler.

Higor, any issues with trying to siphon has out? I have an f150 with a 30 some gallon tank that is full. Simple as sticking a hose in there or is there some type of deterrent device installed?
Thanks Brian
Hopefully we all make it through with minimal issues

250 gal DD 120 sump 90 fuge

Back