Bipartus Wrasse Question

charged45

Non-member
Hello,
I purchased 3 Bipartus wrasses about a month ago. 2 have been out since going into my tank. They have been fine till last night when I saw the larger bullying the smaller one. I did add another 3 days ago which I haven't seen yet as it was recommended to add 3 at a time. Not sure if I should take the aggressor out. Anyone offer any suggestions? TY

IME, I've never had any success of keeping a trio of Bipartitus(Blue Star) Leopard wrasse. Like you, I got one that is a killing machine and regardless of what kind and what size of leopard wrasse, they ended up being bullied and dead. I've seen people with trio of Bipartitus so I know it's possible but it wasn't in my experience. It's very tough to catch a leopard wrasse in a reef tank. Even if they dart into the sand and you think you know where it is, it usually moves around under the sand and you'll never be able to find where it is exactly.

Same thng happened to my last trio 6 years ago. However the bullying didn't start til 1 turned to male. Have a fish trap. May try that. Hate to see 1 die.

Do you have other Wrasse that can help distract the bully? I always find having more then less Fish cuts down on aggression. Kind of like the African Cichlid mentality, so many Fish, no one gets to establish territory. Now this. An less to a whole host of other problems, but if the system can handle it, I always say more Fish.

Back