blue linckia sea star

acrofragger

Non-member
i would like to know how many people have one........ how long.......... and how did they introduce it into the system :)

tia josh

I have had them before but they do not do well in captivity. They are also very sensitive to heat and alk swings. I did a drip acclimate for 3+ hours.

I have had one for about a week and a half now. I acclimated for 3+ hours with a slow drip. He seems to be ok for now but tends to stay in the same area of the tank.

i dont think any animal should be dripped in a buckett for 3 hrs so i did 1 and 20 mins hopefully i have a good one

got it for free from my lfs so im hoping it does ok

Why do you ask people what they do, and then basically say they don't know what they are doing and then do what you want to. Don't waste peoples time. Many sensitive animals in our hobby require a long drip acclimation time because they are sensitive to changes. And another thing is like when you asked for an id of your fish, people told you what they thought, and you tell them they are wrong.Apparently your couple of years in the hobby has provided you a wealth of info and the people helping you that have been in the hobby for years some 15+ years have no idea what they are doing. Sorry for this rant but have seen you id a fish for someone and when they say they don't think so you belittle them. I guess you as a 20 something year old are some kind of marine hobby expert.

Hey guys, lets try to play nice now :)

Blue linkas have a pretty dismal survival rate in captivity. I have heard a few times that the biggest issue is that they depend on natural bacterial slime coatings on the rocks and whatnot for most or all of their nutrition, and becasue of that they usually waste away unless kept in really large tanks that have been established for several years.

That said, with anything that usually doesn't do well in captivity there are often numerous variables and stressors that may or do contribute to the poor outcomes.

I agree that dripping fish for too long can actually be bad becuase the water can end up depleted in O2 before the fish ever gets out of the bucket. Another concern with long acclimation of fish is that if the fish has been in the bag for a long time there will be ammonia and that will cause depressed PH (which makes the ammonia less toxic), so that when you start dripping the PH rises faster than the ammonia gets diluted and the dripping can actually cause the ammonia/PH mix to actually hit the point where it becomes toxic even though it was OK before the dripping started.

Starfish on the other hand don't usually have the faster metabolism of fish, so I wouldn't expect the ammmonia/PH thing to be an issue, and I have heard it reccomended numerous times that sensitive stars should be given particularly careful/slow acclimation.

Good luck with the star, hopefully it will do better than most that end up in our tanks.

Why do you ask people what they do, and then basically say they don't know what they are doing and then do what you want to. Don't waste peoples time. Many sensitive animals in our hobby require a long drip acclimation time because they are sensitive to changes. And another thing is like when you asked for an id of your fish, people told you what they thought, and you tell them they are wrong.Apparently your couple of years in the hobby has provided you a wealth of info and the people helping you that have been in the hobby for years some 15+ years have no idea what they are doing. Sorry for this rant but have seen you id a fish for someone and when they say they don't think so you belittle them. I guess you as a 20 something year old are some kind of marine hobby expert.

take a chill pill ,theres nothing wrong with me wanting to know what others do for reference and all i said was (i dont think anyone animal should be in a bucket for 3 hrs i never said anyone was wrong) . 2nd of all no one has came to my house and saw any fish other than pics i posted (am i really wrong for stating that the pic doesnt even look like the fish0 no i dont think so ........who have i belittled clearly u have not read information thouroughly

and last but not least do you have a blue sea star or did u tag along to yell at some one today

Hey guys, lets try to play nice now :)

Blue linkas have a pretty dismal survival rate in captivity. I have heard a few times that the biggest issue is that they depend on natural bacterial slime coatings on the rocks and whatnot for most or all of their nutrition, and becasue of that they usually waste away unless kept in really large tanks that have been established for several years.

That said, with anything that usually doesn't do well in captivity there are often numerous variables and stressors that may or do contribute to the poor outcomes.

I agree that dripping fish for too long can actually be bad becuase the water can end up depleted in O2 before the fish ever gets out of the bucket. Another concern with long acclimation of fish is that if the fish has been in the bag for a long time there will be ammonia and that will cause depressed PH (which makes the ammonia less toxic), so that when you start dripping the PH rises faster than the ammonia gets diluted and the dripping can actually cause the ammonia/PH mix to actually hit the point where it becomes toxic even though it was OK before the dripping started.

Starfish on the other hand don't usually have the faster metabolism of fish, so I wouldn't expect the ammmonia/PH thing to be an issue, and I have heard it reccomended numerous times that sensitive stars should be given particularly careful/slow acclimation.

Good luck with the star, hopefully it will do better than most that end up in our tanks.

thank you .....i have a red fromia sea star so far so good ,2 weeks and counting ....also have a copperband butterfly (almost 2mths and counting )
i figurerd if i already had a delicate star doing ok i would try my hand at another especially if it was free ......i always worry about leaving the fish in the bucket when dripping cus of exacly what you said , but now that i think about it the star probly wouldnt have polutted the water in 3hrs

for turbosnail and twittledog ...even though i feel i did not disagree with you guys,,,, i will APOLOGIZE ..AND IM SORRY if u felt i was bieng a nuisance... i had already only dripped for and hr and sumthing minutes so the 3hrs flew out the window .

again ima humble person and the only thing im trying to find out is how long and what you do if you have one
there has gotta be a way to keep them alive thats all ..and for future ref its my first attemopt at a linkia blue sea star

It's the internet, sometimes a lot of tone and context gets lost when we are communicating casually in pure text. I find that well placed :) s can go a long way in keeping things positive :D

I have a blue linkia starfish in my 75 now and have had it for over a month now. I dripped it for about an hour and a half and so far its been a great addition except as stated above it really doesn't move around too much.

They are notorious for getting infections or being collected with infections, you really need to pay close attention to there feet. The groove should be nice and tight all the way up to their mouth, when they are sick, it starts to look relaxed and opens up a bit.

They are notorious for getting infections or being collected with infections, you really need to pay close attention to there feet. The groove should be nice and tight all the way up to their mouth, when they are sick, it starts to look relaxed and opens up a bit.

thank you

I have a blue linkia starfish in my 75 now and have had it for over a month now. I dripped it for about an hour and a half and so far its been a great addition except as stated above it really doesn't move around too much.

alright then i might have some luck ..................mine has been hiding in a cave for like 3 days already

If its healthy it should come out after a while. When I put mine in my tank I didn't see it for like 2 weeks and then it just popped up. Now its out a bit more but it still stays on the same rock.

They are notorious for having limpets on them. You really need to check them thoroughly for limpets before releasing them into you system. If they have limpets on them they will eventually die unless you get them off before the infection sets in.

They are notorious for having limpets on them. You really need to check them thoroughly for limpets before releasing them into you system. If they have limpets on them they will eventually die unless you get them off before the infection sets in.

he looked clean and now ..(.you were correct ) he is everywhere ,i love the fact that him and my blue hippo sleep or hang out together .but so far so good still got him and he look way fatter than when i got him so he must be finding food .(thank god )

Back