Blue Linckia ???

dcforester1

Finally enjoying my tank
I was told that the Blue Starfish was easy to take care of. After bringing it home I found a small white spot, I also found a small shell attached to it. Someone told me to take it off with a pair of twezers. I have been reading about it for the last two days, and have found out they are not for unexper. keepers, which I am, and that the parasite shouldnt be removed. Now the spot where the parasite was its a sore that is turning white. It doesnt look good. the starfish looks fine, but what Im reading, its usually a 2 week decline down hill until death. Any sugg. on what to do??? Different articles I read give me mixed signals on there care. Some say very easy, no problems, other say best left on the reef.
thanks Derek

IMO, your tank is way too new for a linkia....someone gave you questionable advice on putting a star in a tank that is still cycling.....

Yeah, linkia are not easy. Every once in a while there will be one that can survive anything but adding one to a new tank is not a good idea.

They should only be added to a mature tank.(1 year +) I've had one in my tank for about 2 years and it's doing well, but the tank was running for about 3 years before it was added.

Not easy, especially the Blues, if it was a store can you bring it back? Once they start to go down hill there is usually no turning around for them.

Sorry to hear you were given shotty advice. Not your fault some places are in it for the money. Hopefully you'll try to not give the store (if that's who gave you the advice) you're repeated business or have a good talk with them :D

Derek,
Please slow down!
I know it's hard at this point because you are anxious and excited etc...
So I can understand that when an LFS employee tells you "it's ok" That's something you want to hear and it's easy to believe. Consider though that employees experience vs the 30+ years of combined experience you are seeing from just the few posters in this one thread. Never mind others answering in other threads.
Rushing things right now will only lead to frustration and disappointment in the end (as is evident by your posts).
So Please nothing in this tank but time and patience for another couple of weeks and in the end you will be much happier.

Marc hit it right on the head. Slow is key. Who ever told you a blue linkia is easy to keep was pulling your chain. They need a very established system. Even then, your tank may not provide enough food for it. The jury is still out on what they do eat. My current system has been running for about 7 years now and I still can't keep a linkia long term.

My tank has been up for 16 years and both times I recently tried keeping a blue linkia I was unsuccessful. :(

I've had a blue linkia in my tank for about a year now and doing well. I've had my tank set up for 2 and a half years. Not exactly sure without a picture but my linkia had something similar to what you are saying about the white soar. I was also very concerned because it didn't look good at all, but mine recovered slowly but surely but it did. It looked like the skin was eaten away but like i said mine had something like that but recovered. Yours in a new tank though might be the problem. Good Luck!

Some systems just won't support them no matter how old it is. I got a blue linkia a few years back. It was the size of a dinner plate. I drip acclimated it, put it in the 210, it went behind the rocks never to be seen again.

Hey guys -

What are some starfish species that have a better chance at survival in our tanks?

As far as I am concerned, nothing says reef tank like a starfish.

The small linkia multiflora are actually pretty hardy if you get them in good quality..

That's pretty much it. Unless you count brittle/serpent.

Hey guys -

What are some starfish species that have a better chance at survival in our tanks?

As far as I am concerned, nothing says reef tank like a starfish.

I have two serpent stars. They are tough as nails. I have had them for a couple years. I never have to target feed them. THey get anything that makes it past the fish or they scavenge.

Same here, serpents and brittle stars are about it. I have a couple smaller sand sifters too and they have been fine for well over a year in my tank. The serpents and brittles are really hardy and fend for themselves in terms of food. They also don't bother anything else. I tried a linkia back a couple months ago. Lasted about a month and that was it. My system is going on two years old and still not able to keep one.

Back