Blue Ridge Coral

reefkeeper2

BRS Member
Does anyone have experience fragging Blue Ridge coral? I have a colony that is over ten years old. It has grown so large that it takes up almost a full quarter of the reef on one side of the tank. I have tried to frag it in place but it just crumbles. So I have decided to remove it and re-aquascape the section of the reef it used to occupy. The whole reef wall will collapse anyway when I remove it. Then I will frag a piece for myself and sell/give away the rest. It's just that it's shape is so unusual I can't think of how to do it. A saw? Drop on the floor and hope for the best? It's going to be a huge mess.

If the dremel had a larger blade attachment maybe. This coral is a solid block. Its about 14 inches high and around a foot wide and 8 inches thick. I love the shape of it, which makes up for its brown color.

haha, 8" thick?! wowza. i think i would reach out to someone with one a bandsaw and offer a frag for use of the tool. i know that LTR has a saw they use. maybe a local reefer has one?

Keep us posted I have. Big colony as well, never tried to do anything with it

reefkeeper i have a fraginf saw you can use . \ just like the one they use at the local fish store . let me know you are realtively close

If that doesn't work I would reach out to Greg Hiller I know he uses that coral to make jewelry, so I assume he has a way to cut it

I tore it out today but I took a before pic. Tomorrow I will post the after. The whole rock wall came down with it on both sides of the overflow and it took me 4 hours to re- aquascape and place the corals. I cut the blue Ridge right from the top down to the base for a nice pinnacle frag and it looks great. I have tons of the stuff left over so if anyone wants a piece come and get it. Tomorrow I have a few more frags to place and the acrylic needs a cleaning and then I'm done.

Attachments

• rps20170114_234310.jpg
    rps20170114_234310.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 214
Wish you were not so far away I would grab a drag from you for sure. It looking like a great coral and I'm sure down the road you will be doing it all over again
Looks like your system grows stuff very well

That coral is beautiful! I tried to send you a pm to see if you have any more frags and time for me to come by and see your tank but your inbox is full.

Awesome colony Paul, I got mine from underwater world and figured it was from your monster colony

Back