Bottled pods?

MikeG

Non-member
I have recently treated my tank with interceptor due to red bugs. I have pretty much completely wiped out my pod population along with all my hermit crabs and one of my cleaner shrimp. The bottled pods that I hear people talk about, are those live pods and could they be used to repopulate a tank. My manderin is starting to lose some weight after a couple weeks with practically no pods in the tank. Doesn't help that I have wrasses in there as well to compete with.

Any thoughts on if this is possible and where to get them?

Aquarium Gallery had a few bottles when I was last in there.

I do believe, if you could keep them from being picked off before they could propagate, you could restock.

I think it was 500 live pods or so in a bottle. You may want to give them a call.

I also have some pod infested Cheato, if you need it.

Thanks, I will check. I will keep the cheato in mind if I can't find anything. Nothing against you but I don't want to add anything that came from a system with corals in it to my tank again with out treating it first(which would kill the pods). I could set up my qt for a couple weeks, but I lent it out to someone.

I used half of the first bottle of pods that I bought and then filled it with water from the tank. About once a week I put in half of the bottle and fill up with tank water. They keep multiplying and there seems to be an ample supply. I haven't had to buy a second bottle of pods.

The chaeto is also a good source.

Pods

I dumped half in my sump and half in my display worked perfectly, but I also got some chaeto from a brs member. Ocean guy how long have you been cultivating the pods in the bottle that is a cool idea, although at night I can see more than enough in my sump.

Mike,

I would be happy to give you a couple bags of Chaeto from my fuge. This stuff is like an oasis for copepods, clear flatworms, fat anthropods, and such. A couple large handfully should have tons of good breeding stock for reseeding your tank.

Retraction

Sorry Mike,

I didn't read the whole thread before I posted that last comment. Trying to be extra careful is probably a good idea. Better safe than sorry.

I would love to take some from a few people, but I want to get my qt set up back which will hopefully be this week. The reason my pod population is gone is because of introducing a parasite into the tank. Nothing is going in untreated again, so I would need to qt for a few weeks so I know there aer no acro flatwors or red bugs.

jacqur said:
Mike,

I would be happy to give you a couple bags of Chaeto from my fuge. This stuff is like an oasis for copepods, clear flatworms, fat anthropods, and such. A couple large handfully should have tons of good breeding stock for reseeding your tank.

Mike, same here, and right in town, just PM me and you can pop over and grab a handful.

You can also borrow my acylic 12 QT to QT it for a couple of weeks if that helps......

Back