Bottled 'pods: do they live in tanks?

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
I see a few folks talking about the various brands of bottled copepods available. Do these bottled 'pods live in our tanks once introduced?
Will they establish a breeding population? Can they be dumped into a sump or refugium to get the copepod levels going? Anyone know if they're the same species that one might find out on the reef in the tropics?

How about amphipods? Anyone selling these?

I recently purchased 3 bottles of tiger pods from skiptons. These are the larger red pods, pretty easy to see with naked eye. Not to say they are huge, but larger than the white/clear ones I had going on my fuge glass.

1 bottle went into the display tank and was eaten completely within in seconds !

2 bottles went into the fuge. For about an hour or so I could see pods everywere ! Then they began to "disappear" and by the next morning there were none to be seen.

Now, did they get swept away in the current and end up in the display tank and eaten ? Or are they living in the big balls of chaeto I have in the fuge happily making more pods ? Or perhaps they are living in the rock rubble, although I'd think I'd see one once in a while.

I study my fuge life almost as much as the display tank and I see plenty of mysis shrimp (sorry guys not enough to share...yet!) and amphipods but NO copepods.

At this point I'm not sure it was worth the 20.00 per bottle to "seed" the tank as I see no results.

Bonnie

I seeded my fuge with the Copepods from CRA. My fuge has very low flow but I continue to see a good population in both the fuge and the tank even with the Manderin picking away. Need the flashlight to see 'em though.

Stop by here and I can give you thousnds of pods which are proven tank reproducers for free. There is no need to buy the bottled ones. You will get many many more from a handful of fuge stuff from a healthy system. one small piece of rock and you'll also have reproducing clean up crew of stars snails worms etc.

Stop by here and I can give you thousnds of pods which are proven tank reproducers for free. There is no need to buy the bottled ones. You will get many many more from a handful of fuge stuff from a healthy system. one small piece of rock and you'll also have reproducing clean up crew of stars snails worms etc.

that sounds like a offer:D

i am on my 3rd bottle of tiggerpod in the past 2 months. i see them in fuge for about 4 hours before the start to dissappear. i assume i still have them, but do not see them.

im now looking to get mysid to populate a little better.

Same Here.

Sure, just let me know. Everytime I look at my fuge I still can't believe what is going on in there.

I think what did it is that when I setup my tank, I got my original Chaeto from 4+ people with established tanks so I agree with Cindy you can't beat it.

The tiger pod sold in store are too big for mandarin. So it is a waste of money to buy those pod-in-a-bottle.

tigerpods too big for mandarins? i dunno, the tigger pods i got were tiny. i used to have a manarin that ate live brine which were atleast 3x the size

I put a bottle of pods from CRA in my fuge and the dissapeared. Every so often at night , with a flash light, I will see a bloom of those same (red body pods) all over the place in my display. I thinkl they reproduce well in the fuge and travel to the display ok.

My mandarin is NOT trained to eat frozen and he is not eatting anything that is bigger than a pin head. But he grows from 1 inch to 3 inch in my tank eatting whatever I can't see. He never touch those tiger pods once I put into the tank for him.

My mandarin does not seem to eat the little bugs in my tank that look like the live tiger pods sold in stores. He does eat things much much bigger than them though, so I don't think it is a size preference, just taste.

try using a red light bulb when lights are out and in total darkness....you can usually see swarms of pods and other life when the lights go out...red spectrum suppose to not be seen by fish and night time dwellars

Quick question about the addition of one or other type of microfauna: could the addition of a large number create an imbalance in the existing populations of your tank. I added a large amount of Skiptons tiger pods and I seem to have less of the other types of pods that I'd normally see. But this may be just my imagination.

Pods for the meeting

Can you please bag me up some of that great sounding stuff?I'm trying to
rebuild my tank after a vacation mix up.I'll be at the meeting.
Thanks Skipp

Back