bought from savko.com? credit card info stolen

I had called them and they said that they sent out letters to everyone who was effected.

They sent me a letter, but the weird thing is the credit card they listed in the letter (they listed the last 4 digits) is not my credit card!

I got the letter and also got hacked,luckily bank of america spotted the fraudulent transactions right away.

I love Bank of America - they always call when something looks "fishy" ;) on my account. I'm not sure why Savko thinks this is my credit card. I've only had two cards in the last 5 years so I know the numbers - this definitely is not one of them.

They sent me a letter, but the weird thing is the credit card they listed in the letter (they listed the last 4 digits) is not my credit card!

The number on my letter isn't "correct" either in the sense that it's not the last 4 digits... but it's the last 4 digits just before the last digit (ie, if number was 1234 5678 9012 3456, the number they sent me was "2345", not "3456"), I'm wondering if yours is the same?

Nuno

I'm hoping the person(s) may have been caught as it wasn't like they scammed a couple people, but QUITE a few including myself for quite a bit of money. Out of *just* the fish people they've scammed 10s of thousands of dollars already looking at ReefCentral, and this doesn't show us all the other non-reef people that probably got hit too. However what I suspect is they just turned around and sold the numbers so the origional hackers don't get caught and all the dumb people who bought the numbers are a dime a dozen to the CC companies :( FWIW (which probably isn't much), I called my Credit Card company's fraud investigation department with the Savko letter and they "took down the info", but I'm sure nothing will happen further.

-Mike

The number on my letter isn't "correct" either in the sense that it's not the last 4 digits... but it's the last 4 digits just before the last digit (ie, if number was 1234 5678 9012 3456, the number they sent me was "2345", not "3456"), I'm wondering if yours is the same?

Nuno

After digging through the trash for the letter:mad:, I looked at the number and you're right Nuno. It's the 4 numbers before the very last number. That's very weird - why would they show it that way. In any event, I track my purchases weekly on my card and there haven't been any suspicious charges. I'll continue to watch it carefully.

I got hacked as well. My credit card company called me a few weeks ago and noticed strange charges appearing on my bill. I had to close the account. Thanks a lot Savco. I think we should be able to sue any company that loses our info. As it is now all we get is a "so sorry" letter.

I'm not so sure it is Savko's fault. As long as people use technology, there will be hacking going on. Just when you think you are safe, you are not! Everytime we order something online, we take that chance.

That is why I do not use my debit card anymore. At least you have protection on a credit card.

I got hacked as well. My credit card company called me a few weeks ago and noticed strange charges appearing on my bill. I had to close the account. Thanks a lot Savco. I think we should be able to sue any company that loses our info. As it is now all we get is a "so sorry" letter.

It happens...Did you know it is actually more safe to use your credit card online (on a secure site) than at a restraunt? Credit card theft really isn't that big of a deal. They usually catch it very quickly, reverse the charges, and issue you new cards. It's when they steal your identity that it gets real bad.

I spoke to a woman this weekend whose bank account was stolen by a guy who came to her door selling something. (duh) She refuses to go to the police now because he knows where she lives- Newburyport, not known for drive-bys. I told her that she could save lots of other people's bank accounts if she went to the police. Even if she didn't want to ID the guy, she could at least make others aware. But no. It's better to hide under a rock than stand up against the bad guys. :mad:

Sorry, I know it's not really relevant to the Savko case, but I had to vent.

Back