Boxing or Pom Pom Crab

Nikkoli110

Non-member
Hey guys, I was wondernig how many of you have boxing or pom pom crabs? I was at Rumford Pet Center yesterday picking up a hammer and frogspawn, and while looking at the jaw-dropping display tank they have set up, I saw the boxing crab. I mentioned it to one of the guys I always see there, I think he is a manager or somehting, and he says, oh wow thats one of the first time's Ive seen him out. and he also told me he has one at home in his tank and he's probably seen him 2-3 times total in the year he has had him. I really got a close up of this little guy, and he was just beautiful. I love the way they act, its just too funny, waving there little anenome's around. My question was is are these guys ok in a 29, which I have? And do they get along with other crabs? (I have 1 emerald and some hermits) I would love to find and get one of them. I coudnt believe the coloration on their shells. Thanks!

have 4 of them in my tank they are all small and don't see them during the day but they do wander out at night and are fun to watch some have lost thier anemones but all have at least one they wave around for food. nice looking crab don't bother anything and are interesting to watch and get along fine with my emerald crabs, porcillin crabs as well as the blood shrimp. i think if you get a small one it will be fine in your 29 just don't expect to see him out during the day

I've got one in a 20. He shows himself a couple times a week. He's in there with an anemone crab and the standard mix of reef safe crabs. I would imagine the bigger the system the less you'll see of him.
I'd get him, for the few times you see him, it's still worth it.

Oh that is great! Now I just have to find some in stock! Haha, Wow you guys are so fast!! I'm sitting here on this forum, I'm addicted now! haha, everytime the boss walks by, its minimize time! Lol. Thanks alot.... :D

both skiptons in Boston and Aqua addicts get them occationally i am sure if you ask the local store they can order some for you i think they are available this time of year since i have been seeing them around lately

I have one in my 75. I used to see him all the time - even during the day. But I haven't seem him in a while - maybe a month or so. He is the cutest little guy. He doesn't bother anyone else in the tank. I highly recommend them!

I got one as well in my 30. I see him maybe once a week. I used to know 2 of his sleeping/hiding places and then I could see him whenever I wanted.

They are really cool though when you see them out.

I bet if you posted in the forums for Sea Creatures (Providence) or for Fishy Business (Chatham, MA) they'd be happy to get some of these critters for you.
Providence is close to you, and Chatham is just a bit of a drive. No Cape traffic in January. ;)

I will also talk to John at Fin and Feather in Groton CT (30 mins south of you on 95) and see if he will get some in...PS if you haven't made the drive south to the store you should, let me know and I can give you the tour...2 words for you..Zoo Propagation...that holds true for any of you other BRS members, fire me a PM and we can meet up for some reef talk...

See you at the next meeting...when/where is that anyway?

Jason

Yea that sounds cool, I love going to new stores. I'll have to drag my friend with me for a road trip (as long as they have reptiles I think she'll come). I havent been to a meeting yet, I actually found this site recently, but I love it. Depending on if the next meeting is the 29th, I will be away, at Foxwoods for the weekend, rents are taking me for the big 2-1. So hopefully the one after that I can go to. I just want one of those little crabs they are so cute! :D

Man, 10 Mins from Foxwoods is Fin and Feather...Exit 88 off 95 in CT. (oh yeah they have reptiles...)

Let me know...29th sweet, it's in the calender...tentatively that is

Back