brass one way valve

Chadly

Non-member
Anybody use a brass one way valve on the return pump so the water wont dump into the sump if power is lost?

Never ever use brass anything. Brass is an alloy of copper and zink, you definately don't want that anywhere near your reef tank. You can get all plastic check valves, but.....

Check valves in general are best avoided in saltwater set ups due to inherent unreliability. Design your sump to have the volume to handle any back flow and call it a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
brass valves last for decades on the boats, even in salt water environment, so , as far as the integrity of the valve goes it will be fine.
The amount / level of copper that it will slowly dump in your tank is a totally different story - I would avoid them like plague if it were me.

the only type of check valve I would use on a reef tank would be made of all PVC and the Ball type for vertical applications but even that eventually stuff will cake up on the seat and it wont hold anymore . Just another thing to clean .

I would never use any kind of check valve, just one more thing to worry about.

Just design your sump water level to hold the excess drain water from the DT. You won't regret it.

Higor

Never ever use brass anything. Brass is an alloy of copper and zink, you definately don't want that anywhere near your reef tank. You can get all plastic check valves, but.....

Check valves in general are best avoided in saltwater set ups due to inherent unreliability. Design your sump to have the volume to handle any back flow and call it a day.

The pressure valve on my BRS RODI is made of brass but water is not travel thru it.

brass is an alloy that is quite stable but still subject to corrosion. I would not worry about a small brass valve that is out of the main water flow in a RO system. a piece of brass in salt water is a different story.

Back