Breeding Onyx Clowns

Pinkskunk

BRS Member
Hello BRS

I have a pair of nice looking (IMHO) Onyx clowns. the female lay eggs frequently over the years. i never bother trying to breed as i dont know how and i have no time.

does anyone who would like to get the eggs? in return i ask for 2 or 3 pairs of babies when they mature :) i love my Onyx and i would like them to extend their blood line :)

pics to come when i clean the tank.

This is something I would like to try myself as my Onyx pair has been spawning for the last 18months or so.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 214
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Hi

they laid eggs all the time while they were in the 120g, i recently moved them to another tank to give the carpet more room and i dont see them lay eggs anymore but then again i wasnt looking either. i will put in a piece of tile next to the carpet and i am sure they will lay eggs on it.

Definitely a good idea to put a tile or pot next to the nem and sometimes it takes a month for them to get back on track after a transfer so iam sure they will lay soon

I wouldn't rush anytning. Put in your tile near where they sleep. If they reject it and lay in a different place, move the tile to that place. Eventually they will lay on it. Get your rotifer production going and be good at it. Nothing worse than not having rotifers ready. I suggest you buy a 10g tank and paint the sides black, and the bottom white. I used to leave one side clear for viewing - and cover it with black paper, but to be honest I didn't view them from the side very much so now I opt to have black. The white on the bottom is for contrast so you can see the fish better from the top, and you can see when the bottom is really dirty.

How ironic, just after dinner i went to look at the tank and saw the female keep rubbing at the rock and i noticed orange color, looking closer yes they are doing it :) i recorded a 4 mins video and snap some pics thinking i was gonna post it and sure enuf you asked for status :)

i placed a tile on the other side of the blue carpet but they prefer this rock with the green carpet, right below the underside of the carpet, this is their prefered place, so they are not interested in the tile, they like this big rock with the green carpet.

the 4 mins video is uplaoding and it will take another 48 mins to finish :) so i will update this post when it completes.

Attachments

• clown.jpg
    clown.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 172
If you are ever forced to shut down tank(i hope this never happens), and those clowns need a home, keep me in mind. I would gladly take care of them - and pay you as well. They are really beautiful. Keep posting here. I want to see how you do with breeding.

lol i hope you are not holding your breath waiting for a day that i will shut it down :) but i know what you meant though, life, never know what comes tomorrow.

No i am not breeding them, i open this thread for the purpose of hoping someone that will take the eggs/hatch and raise the babies, i dont have the time or patient or know how, to do the baby raising :) since they are not using the tile i guess its not going to happen, but i hope they will in the future. maybe they distrust the tile as it is new to their environment, maybe 6 months from now they will change their mind :) however, i think they like this particular rock as they have laid eggs on this rock for the past many many many times....

Last edited:
Back