Breeding peppermint, cleaner shrimps

Moose

Non-member
Hey, I as wondering if anyone had bred peppermint or cleaner shrimp, and had results that were not fish food.. I have been looking into trying it out, seeing if I can breed them and was just looking to see if anyone has any additional info, personal experiences....

I have tried , they are very sensitive to everything. I got 1 that was getting some color , but then I killed it. Good luck. Make a thread.

Thanks, yea I heard and have read that it's very hard, but I needed another project, and figured why not, got to try it in order to succeed. I have a cleaner shrimp with eggs, and two peppermints with eggs right now, we cleaned out our 30 frag tank and have a shrimp tank, I will put up a picture.... Should be fun!:.

I loved when I was Breeding things. Hated when I killed them :( Some day when I have more time, I would love to try again.
Thanks, yea I heard and have read that it's very hard, but I needed another project, and figured why not, got to try it in order to succeed. I have a cleaner shrimp with eggs, and two peppermints with eggs right now, we cleaned out our 30 frag tank and have a shrimp tank, I will put up a picture.... Should be fun!:.

Thanks, yea, I'm waiting on the book, read a few articles from her already, and others that mention her too

So here is a quick picture of my paired cleaners, one holding eggs, they are in a 30 frag tank, with 10 peppermint shrimps, and at least two peppermints are holding eggs too. I'm waiting on the Vossen larval trap in the mail, and still trying to figure out the best baby tank, I have read everything from people trying jars, to 40 breeders, with just air stones and frequent daily water changes, but only drip to replenish so not to change parameters on the babies quickly. I also read that someone had more success to split the babies up between tanks, his theory was the over crowding was a problem... image.jpg

Update, hatch a peppermint hatch tonight, must of caught 100 larvae in the larval trap, siphoned them to a container and placed them into the breeding bin, and added a bit off food. Will see if any survived the move tomorrow

There are still a bunch hanging in there, I'm waiting on baby brine shrimp to hatch so I have been feeding them multiple times a day with cyclopeeze, flaked, and frozen, set up a drip with fresh salt water bucket and did my first bottom siphon today. Looks like the cleaner shrimp will be hatching her eggs soon too... Should be exciting to see

Update: round two while working on round one... Another batch of peppermints tonight almost exactly two hours from the lights going out,same as last hatch. I am going to leave the trap running overnight tonight to catch everything but also because I will have to drip these guys in order to add them to the other larvae. Hopefully leaving them in the trap does not kill them, but in the book, it looks as if the woman would turn the trap on and. Check it in the morning on nights she thought the shrimps would hatch...
The other larvae are now 48 hours old, we still have a bunch, but the siphoning the debris is extremely tough as I can barely see the babies I end up siphoning, so I'm siphoning into a container and sucking out gently the stragglers I picked up..
and the cleaner shrimp has still not hatched her eggs yet though they are to starting to get a reflective nature to them......

Second update, most of the babies have diss appeared, thinking a shrimping has crawled over and had dinner I. The trap, got full and left... I did however take some of the babies out and placed them in a smaller I tank so I have some there.. But new lesson learned, the larvae trap is good, but it doesn't protect the babies like I thought...
Babies ate flake this morning, anyone have any tips on baby brine shrimp hatching...

Okay, this morning I have baby brine shrimp to feed! Finally but I ran into a problem, my net is not holding them, they are running through it when I tried to rinse them, I tried a coffee filter and they just get stuck to it. How important is it to rinse these brine shrimp before I add them to the tank?
My water is clear, I think I may have used to much water for only a 1/4 teaspoon of eggs, I figured I wouldn't need that many at once, so anyone think it would be okay to turkey baste them up and add them to the tank?
Still have quite a few larvae alive, and they are defiantly changing from the first day, the cleaner has not released her eggs yet....

Update: hello we have babies! Well larvae, from the skunk cleaner! Man they are tiny, I think they are smaller than the peppermints, and instill have some peppermint Larvae alive so far, making another batch of brine shrimp today and plan to order the decapsulated ones but haver to use these for now, will hopefully get to feed live baby brine tomorrow morning... I hope that the cleaners will continue to fertilize eggs in the tank so that I can continue to try with them!

Back