Broken Red Sea Wavemaker

reefnroll

shady lurker
Anyone know about these units? Mine has been fine for 3 years now, then suddenly stopped working the other day. I don't see a fuse... so that can't be the problem. Do they just die... or does something just eventually blow, or what? I can't get it to do anything at all.

If you don't know the answers to any of these questions, but have one you'd like to sell... meet me on PM.

Thanks,

bec

bec
Have you open the cover ? If the fuse is not near the power input then the fuse may be an internal one.
Is the wavemaker on a power strip or directly plug into the wall? If it's on a strip check the breaker it may have tripped.

Hey Richard -

It's definitely not plugged into an outlet on a tripped breaker. Everything else on that circuit is working just fine. I also pugged the Wavemaker into a different circuit... no go.

I haven't opened it up though. I just assumed that if there was a fuse, it would be visible and accessible from the outside. I'll open it up when I get home and see what I find. Thanks for that suggestion.

b

Did you ever debug it? ... I 'd be curious if wavemaker uses Triacs or relays to do the switching. If it's completely dead ... it's probably the power supply.

Just FYI to anyone owning one of these.

I had pretty much given up on it after reading a bunch of threads on RC about how they "just die." Mike Accardi and Joe Venuti were visiting last night when Mike asked Joe to take a look at my broken Wavemaster. There IS a fuse inside... which was clearly blown. So there you go.

Thanks Joe... and Mike. Looks like a $2.00 solution will get me back on track...
this time.

b

You didnt check the fuse Bec
faint.gif
;) j/k

Its always the simplest things that get overlooked.

Thanks Richard!

Hey Bill -

If you check my first post, that's exaclty what I was asking about. I've been in the middle of a huge project at home with no time to fool with PIA stuff like this Wavemaster acting up. After a quick search on RC I read lots of sob stories about how they just die after a few years, with no hope for repair - so I figured mine was dead and prepared to move on. I also NEVER read in any of those threads that the problem was ever the internal fuse... so again, I wrote it off.

Shame on me. I'll take a few minutes to autposy next time before transferring anything to the junk pile. It was 5 minutes from being tossed before Mike and Joe made the save.

b

Bec, what model is that wavemaker? I guess some of them have fuses & others don't. Just wondered which one you had that had the fuse. :confused:

TIA
Bri

Hey Brian -

I need to check when I get home. I do know that its a Red Sea Wavemaster Pro... but I don't know the specific model numebr off hand. I'll post later when I do.

One thing... the fuse is one of those short ones... 250 volts, 8 AMPS. I've only been able to find shorties at Radio Shack that are 250volts, 6.3 AMPs maximum. If anyone knows where to find the ones like the original, thanks for sharing. I'm going to try an auto zone or something later on.

b

Hey dedfish -

Thanks for that link. That fuse has the right specs, but I think it's too long (1 1/4").
The one I took out of the Wavemaster is a shorty... like 3/4" or something.

b

reefnroll said:
Hey Brian -

I need to check when I get home. I do know that its a Red Sea Wavemaster Pro... but I don't know the specific model numebr off hand. I'll post later when I do.

One thing... the fuse is one of those short ones... 250 volts, 8 AMPS. I've only been able to find shorties at Radio Shack that are 250volts, 6.3 AMPs maximum. If anyone knows where to find the ones like the original, thanks for sharing. I'm going to try an auto zone or something later on.

b

Bec, I'm going to check with a local supplier I think will have that fuse. I'l respond back in a few.
B

Bec, Can you give me the specifics on the type of fuse? Is it a AGC,AGB, etc.
Look on the fuse & give me all the numbers & letters. Pretty sure I can score you the right one.
Bri

Back