Broken Top Brace on 180g

jcherepo

BRS Member
So I was checking on my tank tonight and noticed one of the top 2 braces is broken. I broke where the brace meets the rim. Any thoughts about my next steps? I am leaving for work in the next couple of hours, so for now I used a clamp to help support where the brace was until I am back home to figure out what I can do.
Thanks,
Joe

Replacing it with a glass brace could be an option. The glass brace would have to be somewhat substantial for strength, but that's how oceanic used to build tanks. People have done this intentionally in the past to reduce the shadows.

I wouldn't expect that to be very strong at all. Nothing that I know of will make a great bond between ABS and acrylic. I've heard of people drilling and using screws to connect things for a brace replacement like this, but I never had much confidence in the idea myself.

Depending on the tank it's possible it's available to get a top brace replacement piece.

Thanks everyone. I will see if I can find a replacement online. I have a feeling if I do, that will be a large undertaking…. Maybe at this point it is an opportune time to upgrade. Hahaha. Or more like breakdown and revisit when life gets a bit less crazy…

I think 180 gal is going to be tough to rebrace , unless u empty it , that much water the glass is bowed out at least 1/8 of an inch or a1/4 of an inch ure safest bet is to drain it and get a whole new brace,
I think its time for an upgrade lol.
Good luck

Thanks everyone. I will see if I can find a replacement online. I have a feeling if I do, that will be a large undertaking…. Maybe at this point it is an opportune time to upgrade. Hahaha. Or more like breakdown and revisit when life gets a bit less crazy…
FWIW I think your options are glass brace, or replacement plastic top frame. I don’t know about the top plastic, but to add glass brace(s) would require emptying or at least half way emptying the tank for 24-48 hours mix (ideally at least 48 since this would basically be load bearing / shear tempting).

So yea, upgrade time? :)

Until you decide how to proceed and a piece of mind I recommend a furniture clamp. I had a 72gal bow front and the center brace broke. That's what I did and honestly I left it like that for several years. Just make sure the clamp is painted or coated. You dont want it rusting and flaking off in the water. GLWR.

Back