Brown String like Algae ID?

UMan101

Non-member
Starting to see a brown string like type of algae. Seems to be spreading fairly quickly. Anyone able to id this for me? Suggestions on how to combat it?

20161119_134112.jpg
8d270189d03a8b987f0fb38dd9097cdc.jpg
20161119_133948.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Kinda looks like dinoflagellates. Ugh I hated those things .:mad: We had it in our first setup back in 2005 (very substandard skimmer, also substandard lighting).

If I recall, we manually removed what we could (turkey baster and net probably), went 100% dark for a few days. Perhaps waterchanges too.

But that was just what I remember - I am sure folks that actually know something will reply.

looks like the start of dinos. i have had a few times black out tank and no water chages and manual removal worked for me .in my case water changes seemed like it was making it spread faster

Ahhh I think you guys are right. Thanks for the info. Just started looking up dino and seems it fits the look. I've gone ahead and started my first black out. I'll keep it going for 3 days.

Will this put any of my fish or corals in danger? I have a mix of corals with zoas, leather toadstool, hammer, acanes, birdsnests, etc.

Any idea what causes dino?

Try the vibrant aquarium. Ive been using it for a little over a week and zero new algae growth, clearer water anf the hair algae i have slowly seems to be receeding (still a little early to tell but im hopeful). I used to scrape algae off the back of my tank a couple times a week... since vibrant aquarium i have not had to scrape it once and it is completely clean aside from some nice coraline spots. Also, used to clean the glass every other day... havent had to clean it since dosing!

I was skeptical of this stuff and it is still early for me but so far its the real deal.

Did some <brief> reading about that stuff - a Reef Central thread posted the ingredients as being a "bacterial blend". Which lead down a Google rathole.
Most of this stuff I remembered from school but its good reading.
http://mmbr.asm.org/content/76/2/229.full
http://coralreefsystems.org/blog/microbial-landscape
http://www.news.ucsb.edu/2006/012146/coral-death-results-bacteria-fed-algae

Then decided I was more interested in researching NASCAR style exhausts since I need to fabricate something similar for my RV so it can back it all the way into my driveway so that its door lines up with the front door. Since I just got the welder, I'm not posting any beads just yet. Oh wait wrong forum.

I had some of this after my tank was cold, and I though it would be a good idea to add hot water. Bad idea. The cold could have caused some issues too. The cold was caused by a return pump that decided to stop in the middle of the night. The experience upset the balance of the tank which allowed dinos to enter. Reduce the light and balance will restore in good time. Your skimmer will likely need to be adjusted as the dinos break down. It seems to make the skimmer go nuts, which I suppose is its way of clearing the junk out of the water.

But I really just posted the above as an excuse to ask this question - so you are putting a NASCAR style exhaust on an RV...what do you think the RVs 0-60 time will be afterwards? For fear of hijacking the thread, you must elaborate... LOL.

What a difference the blackout made! No dinos spotted for now at least :)

20161122_160550.jpg

How's the flow down there? I have a spot or two that don't get much flow and it seem that this is where I get the same thing sometime. If I change the flow it clears right up, at least in my tank

How's the flow down there? I have a spot or two that don't get much flow and it seem that this is where I get the same thing sometime. If I change the flow it clears right up, at least in my tank
My flow wasn't too good before. I think you're right on it being a contributor to the dinos. I had it slightly lower than I liked because every time I would increase it, my sandbed would start flying up. But I spent a lot of time during the blackout to get better angles with my pumps so hopefully it helps

Back