Bryan's 120 Reef

PSU4ME

BRS Member
Well friends, it is time to start a chronicle thread on my plans for upgrading my tank. I've been thinking about this for a while and feel this setup works the best (for me)

The following is the equipment build:
- 120 gallon custom starphire (3 sides) tank, rimless and eurobraced from Miracles with a center overflow. Herbie style drains with 2 returns
- R&J Xtreme oak stand - adding left side doors for access
- Lifereef CLF1 sump and life refugium. LR skimmer, 3 reactors and mag pumps to drive it all -
- 2 Ecotech Radions
- 2 MP40 wES (adding additional BBU)
- Repurposing current Apex - Adding the WXM and VDM modules. Adding an additional E8 bar
- Tunze Osmolator for ATO

Live stuff (to start):
- Thinking fiji pink for sand (suggestions welcome here)
- LR - I have 40# of dry rock turned live, ~25# of dry rock and ordering 100# of uncured Manado from Premium Aquatics (stuff looks primo)
- not sold on the dry rock approach just yet and this live stuff looks neat so what the heck

My plan for the tank is to be a full out reef. I have a bunch of favorite stuff that I need to work through to see if I will put it in the tank (like a carpet nem) and I'm still asking the wife for her input in fish - thinking of going tang-less though.

I'll have a bunch of questions about your opinions going forward so I decided to house it all here instead of random threads or hijacking someone elses

Cheers - Bryan - Thanks for stopping by

Well my sump is in......a CFL-1 from LifeReef. I'm really happy with the construction and process of working with Jeff to get it built to fit my need. I also ordered the 18 inch "life refugium" and I'm definitely excited about that. Next up is the tank and stand! I think I am going to build the stand myself.

Here are some pics:
sump4.jpg

sump2.jpg

And the top shot of the refugium:
sump1.jpg

The cylinder filters are on back order but i have time so no biggie. The tan has a 7-8 week build time on it as well.

Thanks!

Good Luck! plan, plan, plan.

So that is what something new looks like?

Thanks! I have a decent plan laid out and I feel that it should all work together.....Just need to get the lady on board about timing since we are getting married in June.....she wants to wait until after and I keep on saying that it can cycle while we get married! She is winning.

I think i am going to have it a little taller since the euro perimeter bracing will keep the water level at 23 inches.....thinking of going 26 or 27 high but 2x2 for the others.

For far too long I've been standing in the water just before the point where it gets "too cold" (you guys know what I mean).......and I finally dove in!
Spoke with Derek@Miracles today and ordered the tank (after too long of a debate):
- 3 sides starphire, 4'x2'x2'
- internal overflow with 3 holes (herbie drain)
- eurobraced top
- 6 week build time

And on sunday I'm meeting with a calciumbuf who is making my stand and canopy - really excited about this. And the electrician is coming Monday to wire my "fish wall"!

It's just money right?

Hopefully I can keep this moving and get everythign else lined up over the next 2 months.

Well I met with Calciumbuf (Jim) yesterday and laid out the plan for my new stand and tank - Can't wait to post progress pictures over the next 2 weeks!

BTW, Jim has an amazing 300 gallon tank......absolutely stunning!

Well It has been a while since I posted but I have the tank up and running. Here are some pics:

Jim (Calciumbuff) made me an incredible stand and canopy!

finstand2.jpg

Got the tank from Miracles, 3 sided starphire:
Newtank4.jpg

Got the radions installed last night:
fulltank2.jpg

Sump and lif refugium from Lifereef underneath plumbed with the Herbie design:
fulltank3.jpg

And the full tank shot - 120# of manado rock from premium aquatics:
fulltank1.jpg

MP40s are on theri way and i still need to find the permanent home for all the equipment but it is coming along. Going to switch the apex off the old tank this weekend and hopefully have the tank running in a permanent fashion by Sunday!

Looks great! The overflow looks like it has a small footprint...sweet!

Yeah the overflow footprint is much smaller than others that i have seen. I have 3 holes and all fits pretty well. The glass eurobracing goes all the way around which causes a little cramping but i was able to wrk around it and the tank runs dead silent......really happy with it.

Congrats on a great build. I didn't see your Skimmer. Did you not have it hooked up yet? Curious why you don't want Tangs? What will you be putting in your refugium?

Congrats on a great build. I didn't see your Skimmer. Did you not have it hooked up yet? Curious why you don't want Tangs? What will you be putting in your refugium?

I just hooked the skimmer up - it is the lifereef SV24 (i think).

I'm going to do one tang and a blue throat trigger......just didn't want a bunch of big nessy fish!

As for the refugium, I have a slab of live rock in the along with some macro algae. hoping to grow it fast enough to where i can feed it to the fish once a week or so.

Beautiful setup! Love that you are adding a Blue Throat Trigger, awesome fish. Totally agree with skipping the Tangs!

They are semi safe......may chew on a snail or two here and there but I'm ok with that. I plan to watch him closely though. As for the shrimps......i think there is a possibility but i'm ok with it.....i've heard more "they leave them alone" vs "he ate them" so we will see how it goes. Going to try and get a small one and hoepfully train him to behave. Tank should be big enough to let everyone live peacefully.

Back