build your own Ozone reactor Link here

Chuck, were you running the unit without the air drier? I see that they have a one year warrentee, but whos going to pay $30 for shipping for a $50 unit.

Yup

Ya, it would be a waste. Instead, I bought a Sander unit and put the $ towards it instead of sending the Enaly back.

shark bait100 said:
Chuck, were you running the unit without the air drier? I see that they have a one year warrentee, but whos going to pay $30 for shipping for a $50 unit.

Chuck Spyropulos said:
Ya, it would be a waste. Instead, I bought a Sander unit and put the $ towards it instead of sending the Enaly back.
Chuck were you using an air dryer on the unit that popped? If so were the beads the exausted pink color? Usually moisture is the only think that will short out that type of ozone generator. The popping sound you heard makes me wonder if it was due to moisture.

Air drier

I used an air drier and the beads had not yet changed to pink. Everything was fine for 3 or 4 days then......at 2:00 am last night POP POP POP. Good thing though. When I went down to check it out I found my Hot Water Heater leaking:eek: . When it rains it pours.

I posted a picture of the reactor on another thread if u r interested. Brain, what brand of generator do you use?

Aquaman_68 said:
Chuck were you using an air dryer on the unit that popped? If so were the beads the exausted pink color? Usually moisture is the only think that will short out that type of ozone generator. The popping sound you heard makes me wonder if it was due to moisture.

Chuck Spyropulos said:
I used an air drier and the beads had not yet changed to pink. Everything was fine for 3 or 4 days then......at 2:00 am last night POP POP POP. Good thing though. When I went down to check it out I found my Hot Water Heater leaking:eek: . When it rains it pours.

I posted a picture of the reactor on another thread if u r interested. Brain, what brand of generator do you use?

That popping sounds makes me wonder if water got inside of it somehow. I remember reading back that you put an expensive check valve??? Is the ozone unit placed higher than the reactor?

BTW...I caught your thread.... I use the red sea unit. Ed uses the red sea as well. We both used ours for quite sometime without a hitch. I replaced mine with the controller unit as I originally had the 200mg bare bones. (I controlled it with my octopus 3000) I've since switched to the delux model recently because I was having too much fluctuation between a seperate orp meter that I run & the orp reading from my controller. (I like redundancy...Must be the diver in me!!!) The sander unit you purchased should be fine.....It's German correct????;)

Sander Unit

Yes the Sander unit is made in Germany. Yes the unit was placed higher than the reactor AND I used a check valve "just in case"....must be the diver in me too.:p

Aquaman_68 said:
That popping sounds makes me wonder if water got inside of it somehow. I remember reading back that you put an expensive check valve??? Is the ozone unit placed higher than the reactor?

BTW...I caught your thread.... I use the red sea unit. Ed uses the red sea as well. We both used ours for quite sometime without a hitch. I replaced mine with the controller unit as I originally had the 200mg bare bones. (I controlled it with my octopus 3000) I've since switched to the delux model recently because I was having too much fluctuation between a seperate orp meter that I run & the orp reading from my controller. (I like redundancy...Must be the diver in me!!!) The sander unit you purchased should be fine.....It's German correct????;)

Chuck, I was looking at your setup, was your air pump still working after the popping noise? I was wondering if there was too much back pressure on the pump? Is there a required airflow over the coils? did the unit heatup and short due to the airflow restriction? Since these are none controllable pumps, I wonder if they can take the pressure required to force ozone into your reactor. I was going with Aquaman design, inject into the reactor with no restriction, but if it empties the reactor out, then I will have to add another port to bleed some pressure off, probably run a line to my hot tube. :)

shark bait100 said:
I was going with Aquaman design, inject into the reactor with no restriction, but if it empties the reactor out, then I will have to add another port to bleed some pressure off, probably run a line to my hot tube. :)

Please explain "empty your reactor out"

Is that "out of water" ?:confused:

If your not using an air pump that you can control pressure. (with a dial) You may be heading into bad waters. (pardon the pun). The correct air pressure is critical in my design. This controls the water height in the reactor & prevents water from back siphoning into the air pump & back to the generator . (provided the generator is higher than the ractor level) (Checkvalves are a must but as much as they help...sometimes they fail.)

I use a maxi jet 1200 to feed the reactor with water. You can put a ball valve in line pre reactor so you can regulate water pressure into the reactor. I just used the ball valve that came with my phosban reactor. (at least I get to use something from that waste of money!!) JK I use the PR for polishing with Filter floss if needed during cleanings.

Pump

The air pump was still working. It was the ozone arcing tube that failed.

shark bait100 said:
Chuck, I was looking at your setup, was your air pump still working after the popping noise? I was wondering if there was too much back pressure on the pump? Is there a required airflow over the coils? did the unit heatup and short due to the airflow restriction? Since these are none controllable pumps, I wonder if they can take the pressure required to force ozone into your reactor. I was going with Aquaman design, inject into the reactor with no restriction, but if it empties the reactor out, then I will have to add another port to bleed some pressure off, probably run a line to my hot tube. :)

Chuck Spyropulos said:
The air pump was still working. It was the ozone arcing tube that failed.

Those can fail due to moisture......Hey Chuck...Notice we are the only ones responding to this thread lately? (other than a few people) I guess they don't know we're on the "black list" JK;)

I'm keeping up with the thread. Thanks for posting pics Chuck. Sorry to hear about your Enaly. Mine is still running, but I'm down to running it 1/2 hour a night. My ORP has been steadily climbing - it's up to 370. Given that it's so stable, it doesn't look like I'll have to run it very often. My water does seem clear, but still no impact on the red slime. Brian told me to be patient on this - it could take a while.:rolleyes:

Blacklist

I'm permanently on the "black list". :eek:

Aquaman_68 said:
Those can fail due to moisture......Hey Chuck...Notice we are the only ones responding to this thread lately? (other than a few people) I guess they don't know we're on the "black list" JK;)

Back