Bulding a sump

ghost78

Non-member
I am about to build a sump and wanted a recomendation for a pump. I have a 75 gallon with 3 power heads right now, they are a 2 X rio 800 and a rio 600. I want to make sure i am going to have enough flow. Would i be better off adding some more powerheads to the tank or invest in a large pump for the new sump?

Thanks
S

also (complete side note) i got a toadstole the other day, and when i got it it was coverd in these little spikes and it was brown, it was really cool, and now it has lost its spikes and is turing green. Any ideas what is going on with it?

Last edited:
Hey Ghost - can't make a recommendation on the sump, but regarding the toadstool: make sure it's in a good flow area, they like flow. Did it shed it's skin after you acclimated it? If so, this is normal. Mine didn't fully open for about a week after I got it. I originally put it in a low flow area. After I moved it, it opened right up. I'm not sure about the "turning green" part. Mine never did that.

i just called the LFS and they told me the reason it is turning green is b/c its natural color is green. According to them it only tuns brown b/c it is stressed and when it adjusted or "happy" it will turn its natural color. ?????? dose this sound right?

Thats about right.
It will close up, i.e. no polyps for a few days. Then it will shed a mucus type of skin and the polyps will return.

It will do this periodicly.

For a pump I would go with a Mag 12 and put a SQWD on the return.

Back