Bulkhead fittings

kgstei

CONNECTICUT
I'm planning the plumbing for my tank and want to ensure that the drain lines and the return lines can easily be disconnected from the tank as the last two tanks I've dealt with they had to be cut off in order to move the tank. Is there any issue installing the bulkhead fitting with the nut on the inside of the tank and the gasket on the flange side on the outside of the tank. This way I can loosen the nut on the bulkhead fitting. I will be using the PVC slip fitting on the inside with a 90-degree elbow friction fit so that it can be removed. Any issues?

Nevermind. I went out and measured and the big issue is it won't fit inside the overflow box which is only 4 in. So let's change the question is there a way to plumb the drain pipes so that they are removable. My tank has the rectangle overflow box along the top back glass with holes drilled out the top back of the tank.

What about threaded bulkheads instead of slip, then use a union joint father down the pipe?

I used threaded bulkheads. Threadeded a male connector and put one side of the union right at the bulkhead

bulkhead wit threaded on the outside?
that way you can disconnect by loosening the flange and removing the threaded fitting without cutting it off.

maybe try flex tubing, silicon or PVC union (if you like pvc)
Thank you guys I think your input has helped me figure out what I need to do . So this is what I think I have to do. Bulkhead fitting with slip on the inside ( the key here is that nothing on this side can be glued in it has to be friction fit so it's removable), nut and female pipe thread on the outside, then a coupling with male pipe thread and spigot, that goes into a sanitary tee which drops down towards the sump. Once I get below the tank and have access from under the stand I will put unions and then I can Plumb into the sump pump. This way I believe I'll be able to break it down fully. I'm using a bean animal drain with a gate valve on the main siphon line. I see a lot of people using ball valves on the other two lines but I'm not quite sure what the need is. It seems to me they are both supposed to be unrestricted.

Back