Bulkhead size for GenX MAk4

merk1_99

Salting away
Alright I am ready to drill my tank. For a closed loop I am going to use the Genx Mak4 run two 3/4'' penductors as returns. It has and inlet of 3/4'', and outlet 3/4''. Would there be any negative problems if I feed the pump through a 1'' bulkhead constricting the flow down to 3/4'' a foot or so before the pump, if I don't do it at the pump. I've heard on the gen X you want to take the size of in the inlet plumbing down from an inch to 3/4'' a minimum of 9'' before the pump to maintain its silent running....I can't see any problems feeding it through a one inch bulkhead, but I'm not 100% sure....

I reduced mine from 1" to 3/4" within 5" of the inlet, and have not had a problem for the 8 months it has been running. It is not loud, but it is on a cement basement floor so it is well isolated from the system

I've done them both ways.
Restricting the inlet definitely
makes a difference in flow rate.
Now I always use a 1 1/2" bulkhead out of the bulkhead into a 1 1/2" ball valve then a true union (or a 1 1/2" true union ball) use a 3/4' threaded x 1 1/2" female adaptor to get to the pump. Running your intake "flooded" like this will ensure your pump never starves for water.

Another thing that may be just coincidence, but out of around 10-12 of these that I have running the only time I've ever had trouble on a restart is on the ones (2) that have the 1" bulkhead/feed. It seems they get air bound or something. I've never looked to deeply into it I just do them all at 1 1/2" now.

Back