Buying a generator for the aquarium (in case we have another storm this winter)

I'm in the market for a generator myself. Been on the lookout for used but I am likely to go new so I know what I am getting. My aim is something that'll give some juice for the house.... but mainly for tank backup.

I was aiming for an 8 or 10kw. But I've pulled back plans to a 5 or 6kw. I decided it's best to stick with the necessities. Keep maintenance and fuel costs down too. Bigger generator. More fuel. I had an electrician put in a manual switch and a plug out back.

Brand wise. No idea. Still figuring that bit out myself.

Thanks Bob, I've been looking for clarity on that for a long time. Would you say that most modern store bought generators are inverter generators, or is there something specific I should look for on the labeling? (other than "inverter")

John,
Most inverter type generator are "high end"brands like Honda,Yamaha...ect.
I don't think you can purchase one for under $600+.And that would be for a suitcase style gennie.
But having a small generator would make it a lot easier to store.And some of them are so quiet you can't even tell it's running.
I seen this first hand with a Yamaha.
A few examples.

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/power/2000-watt-inverter-generators.html

I have a Craftsman 7KW (IIRC). Runs the entire system, my fridge, couple lights, TV etc. Its overkill for just my tank, but I got it so that I would have ZERO to worry about. I've used it twice in 3 years.

I already had inverters for the car etc before I bought it that could have done the same job... but ... The way I look at it, The generator cost me $750. That is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of the livestock added to the invested time etc. in the system. I looked at it from this way... can I afford $$$ to replace the livestock if it crashes?
The answer is no, and to be 100% honest I am not sure even if I could that I would replace it. So, the $750 insurance policy was a no brainer decision for me. at the time I could afford it so that also made it an easier decision. Its one thing to be frugal if your personal situation requires, its another to be cheap (not saying anyone is, just the decision one has to make and lets face it, we've all been there).

I will tell you one thing, if you have buyer's remorse with a $$$ generator you might only use once every other year..... one good storm and all the low priced coral for sale when peoples tanks crash while yours still looks purddy will make all those butterflies in your stomach disappear. I can guarantee you that.:.

I am getting one myself. Verizon just got rid of three 11000w Honda generators that were bought for Y2K, and never used. They were sitting at my garage for ever. I don't know how they get rid of them, but I am sure they are in someones basement. I missed a good opportunity on CL last month. HD has a Powermate on sale for $225. Its only a 3K, but better than nothing. I am holding out for something a little bigger. I think of the money you can't go wrong.

I have a large generator for back up in my house. It is wired in to the house. I have one circuit set to power all of my reef tanks and circulation for the koi ponds. And then the rest for fridge, freezer. And another for tv and internet. And hot water and heat. Could not imagine not having one after all that has happened in the last few years with storms.

What wattage would be useful for 2 korilia evo's, a vortech mp20, 500 watts of heaters, and my reef keeper lite which controls the heaters? I have another 400 watts in my 8 bulb t5 system. Would 2k cover it? They seem to be much cheaper if they are not inverters. Are inverters worth the additional cost for a generator dedicated to a tank?

What wattage would be useful for 2 korilia evo's, a vortech mp20, 500 watts of heaters, and my reef keeper lite which controls the heaters? I have another 400 watts in my 8 bulb t5 system. Would 2k cover it? They seem to be much cheaper if they are not inverters. Are inverters worth the additional cost for a generator dedicated to a tank?
Take all the watts and add them up or take the amps and multiply by 120.
Some things require a little more electricity to start up, like a fridge, but I don't know if any of the things you mentioned need that.

Here's the 2 I have on stand by.They start in about 4 pulls.
The red one I picked up for $30 off CraigsL.
Just needed a little work,mostly carb cleaning.
It will also charge a deep cycle marine battery for silent operation of PHs at night during a power outage.

Attachments

• 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 154

Remember that corals can go a few days without lights, and even then you can jsut turn on half of them for some light for a few more days. Maybe you could have actinics on for 6-8 hours, then turn them off and have whites for another 6-8 hours, so assuming you are 50/50 you would only need 200W at a time. I think that might work, but I am not an expert on lights.

I just bought a 1200W constant 1500W start up Champion Generator from HD. I bought it online with free delivery to my house.

Last edited:
I have a 5500w Honda that powers the entire house through the electric panel. Spend the dough. It's worth it. BTW, its very important to have an electrician wire this system. Accidently backfeeding generator power back to a transformer on the street can kill a lineman working on a pole quite a distance away

Hey Bob - you mentioned before you wouldn't run voretchs on the older style but would it be OK to charge the BBU for the vortech with them?

Great thread BTW......power outage season is just around the corner.

Hey Bob - you mentioned before you wouldn't run voretchs on the older style but would it be OK to charge the BBU for the vortech with them?

Great thread BTW......power outage season is just around the corner.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't.
Could even plug a trickle charger in and charge a battery with that off the gennie.
But,the red one on the right in my picture has a 12v DC charge plug on it.
I've ran it for an hour checking the output voltage with a meter and it was around 13-14 volts dc.

My $.02 on generators:

I have one of the bigger portable Briggs and Stratton gennys sold at HD/Lowes. I can't recall the size but it was about $900 if I recall. It will run a lot of stuff but it's loud, obnoxiously loud. Not a big deal during an outage but it's certainly not something you'd want to use camping or at a cookout.

Just recently I purchased a Honda EU2000i and while it's not nearly as big as the Briggs it's very quiet and easily portable. And as mentioned above it produces nice smooth power that suitable for electronics. I'll get far more use out of the small Honda.

If anyone finds a good price on a generator and doesn't need it let me know. I may have a small setup but I still wouldn't want to chance it.

I've been looking for a few months and haven't settled on a generator yet. Craigs list is simply loaded with junk, overpriced 'deals', and scams. I've totally given up there.

The generac Gp5500 is in a safe price range for me. I may go with that. Though I'd prefer to have a decent Honda inverter gen. Think 2x the price with some half the wattage. But with that comes quiet and quality power.

For something that one will hopefully almost never use, i'm having trouble shelling $1500+ for a generator. Though it would be wiser.

I figure I'll end up with the generac. It'll do the job. While the engine isn't Honda, it is a cheaper Honda clone (it is a regulator, and not inverter type!) . A number of same parts are interchangeable. Same plug, and filters work.

Still... One can expect mid term ownership quirks with cheap clone import hardware. A higher incidence of failure. And, most of all, cheap often = throwaway design, thanks to the wonderful world of planned engineered obsolescence. Most mass produced products these days are designed to fail with the goal of 'freeing' up cash for yet another replacement device in X years. It is so commonplace that most consumers see nothing wrong with buying item Y again every 2-3 years. Which by chance was made to be not repairable, or economically viable for repair. Even self repair. Sad as that is.

Enough side ranting on my part LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Back