Buying a Maxspect G2-160W led light on Reef Central's group buy

Bobbofin

Non-member
Gonna buy a Maxspect G2-400-160W led light on Reef Central's group buy. The cost is $510 to my front door. I know of only two distributors in the US and I know this is a bit of a gamble but I'm gonna go for it. Maxspect uses SemiLEDs in their fixtures and Cree LEDs upon request at a 1/3 higher cost. I researched this for a while, even considered building it myself. I must of read 1000's of posts on Reef Central and other sites. I found the Cree LEDs loose 5% power a year and their cool whites are actually only 6500k. I remember using 6500k metal halides and VHO actinics back in 1992. SemiLEDs whites are 12-14,000k and loose 10% power a year. The blue loose power at a lower rate. The 10 year/10,000 hour claim is a bit of a sales pitch. Most people will be noticing a decrease in power at about two years. I like the fact that I can actually change the LEDs two years or so or when they loose power. See the pic, they're actually changable. The savings in electricity and not changing of metal halide bulbs every eight months and actinics yearly is significant. I'll let everyone know how it works out. Here's a link: http://reefbuilders.com/2010/01/22/maxspect-g2-aquarium-led-light/

Attachments

• max-s-spect-light-g2.jpg
    max-s-spect-light-g2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 869
  • Max change led.jpg
    Max change led.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,050
There's only 2 or 3 places selling these now in the USA so it is a bit of a gamble. I've read only good reviews of the newer and upgraded G2 fixture. Go to nano-reef.com or Reef Central. The same group buy is going on both places. I belong to both including BRS. The length is in the model number, 400mm = 15.7" and 800mm = 31.4".

I've been thinking about this for my 14G Biocube...The smallest one would be more the double the 48 Wats I have now...I think...It is hard to get the comparisons right...

I ended up getting an Acan Lighting A101. I was uncomfortable with buying the Maxspect fixture from Hong Kong without a US distributor. James and Ken at Acan Light have been great. I had a minor problem with the controller locking up and the fixture turning off a few times over a month. They're going to send me a whole new fixture with a upgraded controller that you can adjust the intensity of the blues and whites independently. Get this, with free shipping and call tag in box to send the current fixture back. I'm very happy with the fixture and the service. They stand by their product 100%. I also have two Reef Brite 50/50 LED strips too. The color is awesome and it is bright! If was going to do it again I would have bought the A102 though which has more intensity and I would not have purchased the Reef Brite 50/50 strips. But I like the fact that I have differant light opinions incase of an issue and both fixtures are nice.
I'm thinking about having a few folks over for a LED and tank viewing on May 22rd in the afternoon. Come over see the tank, have a burger and beer and shoot the sh**. If anyone is interested let me know. I live in Merrimack, NH off exit 12.

Last edited:
Back