Buying Corals while Traveling

rfkeeper55

Non-member
Hello All,
I will be traveling over the Thanksgiving holiday and there is a terrific place where I usually pick up a few corals right before I return back to Mass, however, this year because of my schedule the only option I would have is buying the corals after 5 on Friday and I wouldn't be returning back to my tank in Mass until Noonish on Saturday. I know corals are shipped all the time, but I really don't have any experience with it. Are there things that I should do? or avoid?
I am planning on putting them in a Styrofoam cooler inside of a regular cooler with a few hand warmers and bringing them in the house overnight. Do you think this should suffice?

Thanks.

There should be no issues there. If you are keeping the corals in a heated house and the say the ambient temp is 65-70 in that home you probably could even get away without the heat packs.

Too much heat is worse for corals then having the temperature gradually drop over a period of time. If you do use a couple hand warmers just make sure the water in the bags are not getting too warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do it once or twice a year when I visit Buffalo, NY. Sometimes I even open the bags for a little while and aerate the water if I'm stuck there longer than expected. I wouldn't take the chance on a super expensive piece though. Good luck.

If you let the seller know there is a longer distance / time involved, most will give a larger bag w/ more water - ie more stability for the coral en route.

Back