buying livestock online

diastech

BRS Member
i was wondering if anyone here buys their livestock online and where? i am afraid to buy fish online because i want to see them before i get them. but i really cant find some of the fish i am looking for. i know my lfs can order it, but a few times i asked, the prices are pretty out there compared to what i have seen online.

any feedback is welcome.

I have bought fish a few times and only had one die but I would only buy sturdy fish online. I wouldn't ship a tang or Moorish idol or other easily stressed fish. Call a couple LFS and ask them the price if they order it. If it is just $10 or $20 difference, I would order it locally so you can see it. Shipping fish, although done often, is pretty stressful to them. One time when we ordered a fish, the Delivery guy was walking up to the door shaking the box up and down, even though it said "Caution Live Fish" on the box.

Liveaquaria.com is The best way to go imo for online fish. Prices are half those at a LFS and come with a 14 guarantee. Also for a bit more divers dens lets you see exactly the fish you are getting as well as in many cases weaned the fish to frozen food(will be noted in description if so). Fish are very well packed and i have always recieved healthy livestock. I have had tangs, angelfish, wrasses, pipefish, seahorses, and several other types of fish shipped with very few losses.

Saltwaterfish.com is another onlne vendor i have used and prices are very good and some of the deals make it worth it. they have a guarantee as well but it only gives a credit back and i tend to not be the same quality as live aquaria. Still they are a decent option but if your not catching one of their big sales i would just buy from liveaquaria.com

just my experiences hope that helps.

Back