Cal, Mag, and Alk all off.

letoan

Non-member
Been busy and haven't dose for the last 1.5 months. Tested 3 days ago (Red Sea) and all parameters are off; Cal at 450, Mag at 1400, pH at high 7, and Alk at low 6.

Scratching my head and can't figured it out why this happen. The only thing I can think of is the last 2 water changes was with a different salt (IO).

Been dosing soda ash (BRS 2 parts dosing) in the past 3 days, alk isn't improving much, and cal stays the same.

Just mixed up a 5 gallons to test using IO, and yes, mag and cal was high and alk was very low at ~5

Is this common with IO salt? I can't seem to raise and keep ph and alk stable... When dose it will go up temporary and then drop again.

Any idea?

Last edited:
The only problem i see is low alk... the rest seem fine to me bud... what is your total gallonage, and how much BRS 2nd part are you adding?

ph is a bit low....i think the most u can raise it is 8.4 so u can boost up the alk........i think! not sure...im reading about it right now on another forum.......(its the only way i learn...haha)

For not dosing, those parameters are pretty decent, I think as you raise Alk the pH will stabilize.

Parameters are high because of the salt that I used in the last 2 wc. The parameters on the 5g I just mixed are sky high, except alk.

check the mag...it can affect the alk...you should move ph up to 8. You can use baked baking soda to move both the alk and ph up together

Back