calcium level too high?

theone

not so well known member
BRS Member
Because I mis-read the instructions on my test kit, my level of calcium is higher that I thought. It's over 550. For LPS no SPS there is only a frog and candy cane.

Can levels of calcium be too high?

If your livestock looks OK, I wouldn't worry about it and just let it drop on it's own.

I agree with John if it's fine let it drop naturally on it's own...

The TM kits are pretty good IMO, but they do take some getting used to. As far as the high calcium level goes, it can't really do any harm, but it is not adviseable to keep it at such high levels for stability reasons. Like everyone else said, letting it naturally drop back to nominal levels is probably the best course.

why dont they just adjust their scale to the readings, rather than have you multiply is by 1.25?

is there a reason for this?

The reason not to keep it that high is that any significant increase in pH might cause a 'snow storm' of calcium carbonate precipitate in your tank. The snow storm irritates corals a bit, but the more serious problem is the sudden change in water chemistry that can occur due to the snow storm. Most notably a sudden drop in alkalinity.

I agree with the others though, allow it to fall on it's own, slowly, but be particularly careful about not causing a sudden increase in pH (like from a large addition of kalkwasser).

I've been tracking its decline. slow but steady. I should be OK. ALK and PH holding steady too

Back