calcium level??????

PRTA79

Non-member
my calcium wont rise above 360ppm is that normal???

ive been using kent tech-cb every morning for 2 weeks now and i drip kalk
at night also.
15-20% water change every 2 weeks
ph 8.2-8.4
ammo 0
nitr 0
alk 11-12

What was it before you started dosing.Kalk won't raise your calcium much if anything.I am unfamiliar with the Kent product and don't know how concentrated it is.Is it calcium chloride based?

Kalk can raise CA to a certain degree, but very hard to keep it there. I have been able to get my CA up to ~390 w/kalk. But it drops fairly quickly.
You need to get your CA upto the level you want, & then maintain it w/Kalk & other additions: CA reactor, Randy's 2/3 partadditive, store bought etc

How big is your tank? How long has it been up & running? CA load - corals, corraline on rock etc

ltelus said:
What was it before you started dosing.Kalk won't raise your calcium much if anything.I am unfamiliar with the Kent product and don't know how concentrated it is.Is it calcium chloride based?

it was 420 -450ppm
ive been using kalk for about 4 months no problems until
it recently dropped in the last couple months when i started adding hard corals ive got 6 new frags
the kent cb is the 2 part stuff

Scuba_Dave said:
Kalk can raise CA to a certain degree, but very hard to keep it there. I have been able to get my CA up to ~390 w/kalk. But it drops fairly quickly.
You need to get your CA upto the level you want, & then maintain it w/Kalk & other additions: CA reactor, Randy's 2/3 partadditive, store bought etc

How big is your tank? How long has it been up & running? CA load - corals, corraline on rock etc

75 sho/125sumpfuge/2-250hqi,4-t5/3200gphflow.
its been running about 9mths.
i plan on geeting reactor soon

I would use a calcium chloride based additive like turbo calcium,or seachem reef calcium which are more concentrated to boost it back to 450 ppm or so and then not add anything for a week,retest and see what your level dropped to,then calculate how much of your cb you need to add daily to maintain calcium at 450,i suspect the cb is not potent enough to raise your levels the amount req it is only a maintaining calcium additive.
-Liam.

Hey hows that frag doing.

Yeah, use calcium chloride to jack up the calcium level as Liam wrote.
Check Home Depot stores to see if they have any Dowflake left.

Back