Calcium reactor design

Bidadari

Glitterless
I'm wondering about a slightly different design for a calcium reactor. The idea is to seperate the media chamber from the CO2 disolver/mixer. So the reactor would consist of a passive media chamber, bottom to top flow, just like a typical 2nd chamber and a CO2 mixer.

The mixer is basically a pump with a plumbing loop. At the pump output, it has a gas - water seperator and acid water output to media chamber. At the pump input, it has a venturi such that it will self siphon, eliminating the need for feed pump. The CO2 entry is at the pump input just like typical reactor.

A couple of advantages that I could think of from this design:
- Low volume CO2 mixer, creating low ph water in min time
- CO2 recirculation is accomplished automatically
- Flow control valve is not fouled by grit material nor calcium deposit/precipitation
- Max dwell time on effluent, giving highest ph output
- Low pressure media chamber, easy for DIY

Disadvantages:
- Pump operates in lower ph water

What do you think?

Interesting to see alternative design ideas for stuff like this. Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this reactor. I'll be interested to hear what reefers who have experience with Ca reactors think about this.

Is this a completely novel design, as far as you know? Or are there examples on the market with some of these features?

Thanks, Nate

Nate,

It is just an idea. I don't know if it performs well.
I have not seen any commercial one which uses the same idea though... maybe it just don't work as well as those typical reactor. That's why I'm asking for feedback...

Sounds like an interesting idea. I would only wonder if the slow moving water in the reaction chamber would be less efficient at dissolving the media than in a conventional design where the pump circulates the lowered PH water through the media over and over. Then again it might be the opposite?

jimmyj7090 said:
Sounds like an interesting idea. I would only wonder if the slow moving water in the reaction chamber would be less efficient at dissolving the media than in a conventional design where the pump circulates the lowered PH water through the media over and over. Then again it might be the opposite?

I'm not sure... the slow moving water nonetheless is always in contact with the media... but it is possible to disolve the media more efficiently by introducing tumbling action such as a bottom-up flow chamber pushed by a pump. I wonder how much tumbling could be reasonably accomplished?

Here's a thought:

How about utilizing a pH controller connected to a solenoid type valve, so that once your water is supersaturated with CO2 in Chamber 1, then the loop will open to allow water transfer from recirculation to the gravel column, thereby creating the need for the siphon through a check valve from the tank. Once the pH is back to near tank level, the pH controller switches back to recirculation/ CO2 charging mode again.

Seems to me that you'd get more bang for your buck using this method.

Karl,

I like your idea... Using pH controller to control flow could make sure that optimal pH is achieved, even for a slow bubble rate. That would work better also with reactor media which requires lower pH for example.

Back