Calcium Reactor Media?

Reefer508

BRS Member
I was wondering what everyone uses for media in their calcium reactor. I've heard good things about Reborn but also that it has "changed". How about CaribSea ARM? Does one brand or size "melt" more consistent than others? Do they all have adequate magnesium? How about availability?
Any input is appreciated.
Happy Reefing

Last edited:
I use reborn. About 2-3 years ago their product started coming in very small, like pebbles. I guess Jullian said local laws made them crush it smaller. About a year ago I started getting bigger stuff.

Both work but def prefer the bigger pieces. I do 3/4 big with the smaller pebbles on top to use up what I have. Just cleaned and refilled the reactor the other day. I also put neomag in the bottom chamber - I don’t mix it - for the magnesium.

Upvote 0
When I ran a Ca Rx I also preferred course media
(ARM course vs ARM regular. Never tried that other brand).

Regular /fine turns to mush (if Co2 in excess) too easily. Also course seems to better resist packing and channeling IMO/IME.

Upvote 0
Reborn over here, still using the small stuff as I bought a ton of it a few years ago. Will be switching to the larger size soon.

Upvote 0
Reborn here too, they changed back to large chunks.
Just make sure ask the vendor before placing an order so that you won’t get the old inventory.

Upvote 0
Just getting parts together for CR. I picked up an older Geo CR624. I'm fighting salinity swings with the amount of 2 part I have dose to maintain alk and calcium, so hoping CR will be a better option.

Upvote 0
Since we are on the calcium reactor subject, what is everyone ph looking like? Is your ph suppressed?
Mike I run a higher PH with Reborn in my reactor and a steady flow instead of drips. Co2 solenoid is controlled through APEX. PH in my reactor is at 7.12PH and I dose with Kamora FX-STP about 60 Mil per min. PH in tank is between 8.2 and 8.4 PH daily. I do have a tone of surface agitation for good gasoff exchange too.

Upvote 0
Mike I run a higher PH with Reborn in my reactor and a steady flow instead of drips. Co2 solenoid is controlled through APEX. PH in my reactor is at 7.12PH and I dose with Kamora FX-STP about 60 Mil per min. PH in tank is between 8.2 and 8.4 PH daily. I do have a tone of surface agitation for good gasoff exchange too.
Thanks Corey, I am toying with the idea of setting my calcium reactor back up but, I run fairly low ph as it is and it seems to be that ph is a great way to keep a healthy, growing tank these days. I have a few questions about Cal/Alk in my tank. I will make a post here soon. Thanks for the info brother!

Upvote 0
Back